Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista System Slowing Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smclaugh5

smclaugh5

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Sony Vaio
Core 2 Duo CPU T7250 2 GHz
4.0 GB Ram

Microsoft Windows Version 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)
Physical memory available to Windows: 3,134,976 KB

This system has slowed down recently, looooong boot times, slowed responses in applications. I need help with trouble shooting, and help with system clean up tools. I do not see any evidence of a virus, but that could be a possibility.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Exactly how long does it take to come up? A laptop usually takes upward of 3 or 4 minutes to boot correctly and a desktop much less. Windows in general tends to take a while to get itself together. Vista with the more updates it gets, tends to get slower and slower unless you do some start up entry "pruning" every couple of months.

My dad recommend me using Defraggler and CCleaner (free versions) frequently, uninstalling any programs that you don't use and storing any old documents on an external drive. There's ways to disable and delay services in the Management Console but that can get complicated if you don't know what services are essential and which aren't.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#3 smclaugh5

smclaugh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

I haven't timed the boot cycle, either recently or before I noted the degradation in performance. I don't know what Management Console is, so I probably wouldn't know what to do with it. I don't mind trying utilities, but I was hoping to get some advice on good apps and methods to safely say backup and restore the system and registry so I don't' make the problem worse. I will take a look at the two you recommend.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hi,

In addition to bitesized1612's recommendations, the following links should be helpful:

1.) Optimize Windows Vista for better performance.

2.) Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

@smclaugh5 - Create a System Restore point before you try any apps at all. And Back-Up your files manually with Windows Back-Up and Restore Center, often.. :) The only reason that I resort to freeware is because my laptop's OS been through some rootkit/malware trauma that renders some normal functions ineffective. If you haven't had that experience, I'd look into the help files at microsoft.com and learn to get the most use out of Vista's functions, which are actually quite good despite how much everyone harps on how terrible the whole OS is.

Edited by hamluis, 11 July 2012 - 12:19 PM.
Minor edit - Hamluis.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#6 smclaugh5

smclaugh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Defragger and CCleaner improved the system performance. Defragger ran for two days. I purchased the utilities, and recommend them based on my personal experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users