Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Windows Xp Disk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dan9119

dan9119

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:12 PM

I have gotten some great advice on this forum as to how to reformat my hard drive to try to get my computer functioning again. I have discovered that since I purchased my Dell a few years ago I have somehow misplaced or lost my XP disk that Dell ships in order to reformat the hard drive. I do have the licsense number and have been told that I can contact Microsoft and they will ship me a new disk. I have tried to contact Dell about this problem but because my software warranty has lapsed, they have been no help. Can anyone tell me how I can obtain another CD of my XP operating system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

Dell should be able to sell you a new system restore disk. Insist on it when you call. Ask to speak to supervisors and then the supervisor's supervisor until you get someone who knows enough to accomodate your request.

It is better then the Microsoft disk because it is made specifically for your computer the way it came equipped from Dell with the proper drivers, etc.

Insist on them supplying you with it.

They will charge a nominal fee - around $40 or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users