Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it normal---5 min to load Windows ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hi forum,

When I power on my computer, it takes about 5 min to load the Windows and settles down all the programs which are in the start-up list.

Does it sound normal to wait 5 min long ?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

I have Vista but I installed and tested Win 7 in a virtual machine on my laptop. Depending on how many programs you have installed, what services/applications you have enabled to begin at start-up and other factors (computer's memory, how defragmented your hard drive is), 5 minutes sounds mid-range to normal. Windows has always been huge and there's lots of little bits to get sorted before you can use it properly.

You can pare down your start up entries list by delaying or disabling services in the Management Console. Make sure stuff like your antivirus comes up automatically, but other apps should start up only when you click on them. I got it down to a minute on Vista once, but that was a long time ago and I had less stuff on it. :P

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#3 cuhkwan

cuhkwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for your advice.

Would I be better off, if I switch my HD to a SSD ?

I heard people said that SSD could start a Windows in about 20 sec which was amazing to me. Is it true ?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

My laptops probably take 4-5 minutes to fully load Windows and my desktops take anywhere from 1-3 minutes. Depends in no small part on what processes you have starting with the system. If the system runs properly after it boots I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

#5 cuhkwan

cuhkwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Allan.

After hearing from both of you, I can take a break relief my worry.

My Windows always got me, you know.

Great forum to solve my problem. :thumbsup:

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

My laptops probably take 4-5 minutes to fully load Windows and my desktops take anywhere from 1-3 minutes. Depends in no small part on what processes you have starting with the system. If the system runs properly after it boots I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

Agree with Allan - The laptop can be slow @ 3 to 4 mins average, even running from direct power source, and not battery. Just think it is Win7 O/S -
The XP desktop is much quicker at around 1 minute on average + or - a bit.

#7 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

My mom has an XP desktop. Not very little start ups or programs installed, cleanest computer I've ever used, still takes like 3 minutes to really get itself together. This computer doesn't have a lot of memory to work with, however. I'm sure an upgrade will make it come down to a minute as well.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#8 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

For your SSD question, yes, an SSD speeds things up tremendously.

When I first installed Windows on my SATA III hard drive, it booted up super quick. Now it usually takes a few minutes to boot fully as it has to load all my drivers, Norton 360, Secunia patch management, eVGA control center, and other assorted tools. You can always speed up the boot by disabling what loads on boot. Or you can delay some programs loading until after the main boot.

#9 cuhkwan

cuhkwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks.

But I'm still afraid of disabling the start-up items, because after windows loaded, my computer ran quickly and everythings were fine and nice. By disabling the items, such as Java, I am not sure my computer will function normally or not. Anyway, I tested once, by disabling about 5 items, there was not so much diffence. So, I decided to leave all items on.

(Right now, when I power on my computer, I can take a shower while loading and come back to use it after finishing shower.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users