Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Want to upgrade moherboard but have some fears

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RDoringo


  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hi all,

So, here is the story. I recently bought a phenom II 965 BE CPU. I installed it on my amd 780 L mobo. It turns out that my mobo (95w) is not compatible with a 125w CPU, which the phenom II is. So, I'm faced with the decision of whether to return the CPU and get one that is compatible or upgrade the mobo. I would like to upgrade the mobo, but I have some worries about doing so.

First, I really don't want to lose the data on my current machine. I don't have an external drive to back it up. Second, I really don't think my computer came with a windows 7 installation disk. I bought a budget ibuypower pc from newegg a couple years ago which I have been upgrading since. The side of my case has the windows 7 product key and I'm almost sure that no disk came with it. I know that people upgrade their mobo without having to reinstall windows 7, but I'm worried that if something goes wrong that I'm am screwed. This is my main machine that both myself and my wife use.

Would you recommend that I upgrade the mobo or just go with a lesser processor? If you recommend a mobo upgrade, can you please recommend some, I currently use an asus with the amd 780L and I've been happy with asus products. I'm willing to try something else, though. For example, the as rock 970 extreme3 looked nice for the price on newegg.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 hamluis



  • Moderator
  • 56,300 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

<<First, I really don't want to lose the data on my current machine.>>

Based on that statement...your first priority should be making a reliable backup of the current files you value...whether you upgrade/change anything or not.


#3 coxchris


  • Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atwater
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

you can use the backup and recovery tools on windows to make a copy of your hard drive via cds.

AA in Computer Networking Technology

BS in Information Technology 

Comptia A+, Project+, L+

Renewable:  N+,S+

CIW Web Design Specialist, JavaScript Specialist,  Database Design Specialist 


#4 RDoringo

  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

A generous friend let me borrow an external hard drive, so I will be backing it up tonight. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users