Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System 32 Missing File

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coolum

coolum

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 2500 that I have been having problems with since day 1. My latest problem occured when I restarted my computer and a screen popped up saying:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system 32\config\system

I put in my Compaq Operating system CD(microsoft Windws XP Home SP 1) and tried to repair the problem but I am unsure how to do this.

At the Recovery Console area C:\> pops up

and I enter: \windows\system32\config\system at the repair area and it says; The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

After the HElP list pops up I am lost on how to fix the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

Ouch. This can be very bad.

There's an easy way and a hard way to fix this. Hope that the easy way works. The hard way takes hours and challenges your typing skills.

I have used the hard way with moderate success, but you can run into unexpected problems with it, particularly if you eventually wind up with an install that was corrupted.

Anyway, here's the link to the solutions. Good luck with it.

#3 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

Thanks Herk for your response. After struggling for 2 hours to fix my computer, I have decided to just reinstall windows from the beginning. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Are there certain programs that I should download as soon as my computer is hooked up to the internet?

2.Is this problem going to be an ongoing issue, and should I just getanother laptop?

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:31 AM

Windows SP2

Make sure you have downloaded this file before reformatting and have it on disk. It will need installing before you connect to the internet. If you connect before installing you'll probably get infected with a virus within a couple of minutes.

Also make sure you have installed your Antivirus software.

Simple steps to keep your computer safe

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

You should download your firewall, antispyware, antivirus and the definions, before you format your computer, and burn them to CD\DVD. Install them offline before you connect to the internet. It is very possible to become infected while downloading updates and software.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft Defender (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Presonal Firewall 5.6 (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

If you have noticed I also included several online scanner and removal tools. It is easier to have the software installed on your computer prior to becoming infected rather than trying to install the software once infected. The scanner takes very room and are reactive, meaning they only function if you manually start them. A few are proactive like Spybot S&D, AdAware SE, and Microsoft Defender.
I hope this helps.

Edited by acklan, 06 March 2006 - 08:51 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

Should I use my Compaq quick Restore Cd's or my Windows Xp cd?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

Which one was used to install XP? If you never reinstall XP using the XP CD use your Restore Disk to install XP again. If you have installed XP on that computer with that XP disk using the COA (25 digit code ) that came with the CD use the XP CD.
If you used the XP CD to install XP on another computr DO NOT use it to install XP on another computer. When you you to update Microsoft will detect it on two computers and Microsoft will disable both installs forcing you to contact Microsoft to re-activate one of the computers.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:03 PM

The Compaq restore disk will have all the drivers that your computer had when new. The generic XP disk may or may not have them.

Where did you get the XP disk? From Compaq? Or did this come with another computer?

Before you start to reinstall Windows, regardless of which disk you decide to use, make sure you have the 25 digit Microsoft key number that belongs to your computer. If you don't have it, you can download a small freeware ap from magicaljellybean.com named "Keyfinder" that will give it to you.
You may not need to authenticate if you use the Compaq restore disk (provided it is the one that came with the computer - not from a different one), but have the key number just in case.

#9 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

I usedbmy Compaq restore CD's yesterday and tried to download all the windows updates before i installed any protective software and my computer ended up going back to my original Missing file 32 problem. Should I try again and than add the spware,firewal prigrams, etc. before I go online?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:17 PM

If you have a burner donload it and burn to disk before you install. Install the basic then go online and update your definions. Download from the softwares web site instead of a third party. That may be where you are being infected.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

Download from Windows Update only. Set it to download and install automatically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users