Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports quit working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have a old HP/Compaq computer. Everything was working fine. I was using a usb wireless adapter and wireless keyboard and mouse connected through usb Hub. All of a sudden none of the usb devices work. I plugged them into the computer directly. The computer has 8 usb ports, I can get the wireless adapter working in 2 of the 8 ports, and a usb mouse (not the wireless) in 1 of the ports (1 of the 2 that works with the adapter). Unfortunately, I can't get a non-wireless usb keyboard to work anywhere. My computer is password protected, so I can't get past the log in page. Please let me know if there is a way to get past the log in, before attempting to help with the USB issues.

Edited by Rixbiz2, 09 July 2012 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

USB to PS/2 adapters are available.
PS/2 keyboards are available.

Examples:
Link Depot USB 2.0 to PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Adapter - Walmart.com

Newegg.com - Axis 74001 Black PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

I all else fails, check your MoBo manual and search for the "Clear CMOS jumper"

This will reset ALL CMOS (BIOS) settings to factory-standard, removing the password from your system.
The problem is that all custom settings will be lost as well, although the system should boot on the first found HDD as those will be auto-detected in POST before the boot-sequence.

At least you'll have a bootable pc, hopefully you'll be able to determine the issue further from there...
Little question: with "Wireless Adapter" you mean that little USB connector for your mouse/keyboard right?
(Is it Logitech, did you use Unifying software???)

Final tip, if you have a bootable system again, you can easily check your USB ports by using a standard USB stick and plug it in EVERY port to check auto-detection...
Dust is known to short out USB connectors, in that case you can forget the affected ports (usually in pairs of 2)...

Good luck!

\0/
-Sec

EDIT: Step 1 would be, of course, MAKING SURE THE BATTERIES IN YOUR KEYBOARD AREN'T DEAD!!!

Edited by S3cS3arch3r, 10 July 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#4 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Ok, Thanks for the tips. I'll try the PS2 adapter or keyboard. BTW, by wireless adapter, I meant a wireless network adapter for internet usage. I did also have the wireless keyboard and mouse plugged in.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

It would be a good idea, especially on an old computer, to check the mother board for damage. Swelling...leaking
capacitors, for example. Mother board problems would be my first suspect for the USB ports not working.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users