Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quicktime / Mov

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

Can anyone tell me if its possible to play mov/quicktime files on windows media player 10 or if its possible to convert them so that they will play. I've got loads of film as mov but i dont really want another media player , unless its better than wmp 10.
i'm very new to all this and would appreciate some advice.

Leeboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:28 AM

Hi there,

I suggest using Media Player Classic.....aka-->MPC.

To avoid problems, don't install any "Codec Packs" if you are not savy to audio/video media file types and their associations with the handling of codecs and filters. You should only install components that your media handler specifically prompts you to install, thus eliminating incompatibilities down the road.

However, I do recommend downloading and installing a few codecs right after your initial installation of MPC.

Real Alternative: Enables MPC to handle files associated with RealMedia.

QuickTime Alternative: Enables MPC to handle files associated with QuickTime.

AC3 Filter: Decoder that supports the following audio formats--> AC3 / DTS / MPEG Audio.

With these additions to MPC, the most popular media formats are able to play in just this one Media Player. If you try a format that is unable to render, try to find a codec or handler for that particular file type at a site like Free-Codecs.com or search Google for the file type, and learn what you can about possible options.

Lastly, when performing the installation of the files I have recommended above, consider taking these steps to simplify future handling of these files.

1. Create a "New Folder" named Audio-Video in the directory that contains your Program Files.

example: C:\Program Files\Audio-Video

2. Install MPC, Real Alternative, QuickTime Alternative, and AC3 Filter in this new folder, as well as future additions of files associated with MPC. This step makes life easier in case of problems with future add-ons, codec incompatibility, and so on.

NOTE: During the installation of the Real and QuickTime Alternatives respectively, you will be presented with the option to install Media Player Classic. Untick the option in both installations, The new MPC version came out just today, so that is the version you will want to install.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:23 PM

Hi Nos, thanks very much for the advice mate. Sounds like just what i'm after. Going to download
it all now ! :thumbsup:

Best Regards
Leeboy

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:53 AM

Glad I can help,

Let me know how things went, and/or if you have any questions of concerns.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users