Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP LAN Problem - Cannot Access LAN

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 childofthemountains

childofthemountains

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I had a functioning 4 computer LAN using DCHP for five years no trouble. One of the XP computers was swapped out for a Windows 7 Computer a year ago, and not problem. We had a Wild Blue Internet Dish and a Montana Internet Dish. I wanted to use both on my computer so I installed a second PCI Lan Card and connected the Wild Blue Modem directly to the RJ45 slot. The factory motherboard LAN connector remained connected to our 4-port Linksys-router which was connected to the Montana Internet Connection. When I used the Wild Blue Connection I had to disable using SYSTEM-->Hardware motherboard LAN so I had dedicated access to the Wild Blue LAN. When I wanted to use the Montana Internet of Helena Connection I had to disable using SYSTEM-->Hardware the newly installed LAN card and re-enable the motherboard LAN connection. I could use either internet service this way, but I lost connectivity to my LAN--I could see the other 3 computes in "My Network Places" but they could not see me. Whenever I clicked on them I got the message "Server List Not Available" or the message "Network Path Not Found". Anyway, I can access the rounter ADMIN from my computer, but I cannot access any of the other three computer's share folders or printers any more. I remover the newly installed PCI LAN board and things still did not work. I did a "System Restore" while in "Safe Mode" operation--did not help. Anyway I called a Technician in Helena from a Computer Services Business that has a reputation among some of the Helena area computer businesses such as web designers, etc, etc. He was baffled. I can ping all other three LAN computers and they can ping me. I can see them, but they cannot see me. The network used DCHP to assign IP, so using an IP address in the browser is not feasible as they change from day to day according to what computer first logs on in the morning. He was able to access the shared folders using IP addresses typed into the browser window, but he could not type in their names such as C2, C3, etc. and access the computer in like manner as typing in their IP addresses. In "My Network Places" my computer and the router shows under "Local Network" - rest shows under "The Internet". Any help would be appreciated. INFO ATTACHED in RTF

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi -
The first check is usually this .........
Open Internet Explorer (it must be IE) > Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Only the Top box should be selected > Click OK > OK -
Now reboot and see if there is any change -

Post back with the results (either way) -

Thanks -

#3 childofthemountains

childofthemountains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the infomation: I checked and it was set to Automatically Detect. Thank you for looking at this problem. For your information I have the machine address of all the computers in the LAN listed in my Norton Antivirus Trust Section of Network View. Norton Network View sees the entire LAN, but Windows on my computer just cannot seem to see the other machines correctly. It tries to put them in the Internet Section of the connection view now instead of the LAN view which shows the router and my computer.

Edited by childofthemountains, 11 July 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#4 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Can you post the ipconfig/all results of one of the other pc's?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users