Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

clock does not keep proper time or date

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scoutingring

scoutingring

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I have three different computers,all of them are running XP. About two weeks ago all three computers clocks stopped keeping time or proper dates. I correct the time and date, but the clock does not move forward, and the date does not change automatically.

One is a desktop, and the other two are laptops. none of them are interconnected. I do acess the internet with all of them, at different times, for different uses.

They are all plugged in or on battery power all the time.

It was suggested that the cmos battery was bad. I changed the battery in the desktop and the problem still exhists.

It was suggested that they may have a virus or something like that. I've ran virus software and nothing comes up.

"Microsoft support" advised me to come here to try to get an answer, because they haven't heard of this problem before.

Any help would be appricated.

scoutingring

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hello and Welcome -
M/soft should have given you these basic instructions first =>>
If your computer loses time, use the Date/Time tool to set the correct time:

1.Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2.Double-click Date/Time.
3.On the Date & Time tab, configure the correct time, and then click OK.

To determine if the time loss is a result of a weak computer CMOS battery:
1.Click Start, point to Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
2.At the command prompt, type time, and then press ENTER.
3.Compare this time with the time that is reported by the clock on the taskbar.
4.Type exit, and then press ENTER.
If the computer's time and the time on the clock are different, the computer's battery may be too weak to keep accurate time, and it should be replaced.
For information about how to replace the battery, refer to the documentation included with your computer.

NOTE: This problem does not affect the clock in your computer's CMOS

Thank You -
EDIT - You may need to do this process several times in one day to check the computers internal clock -

Edited by noknojon, 09 July 2012 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users