Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleaning up ex-work laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adimock

adimock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hello,

I have an older Dell Latitude D820 running XP Pro sp3. 5 years old. I used it on a windows small business server 2003 network and am now using it at home. I removed alot of the junk related to wsbs but believe I have missed some. I want to remove or disable all of the client garbage that was loaded onto to it. Does anyone have some sort of checklist?..Thanks

I am also having a wierd issue where after my "removal" of the wsbs stuff the CPU is operating at 25-40% yet only 3-10% shows on the task manager displaying all processes. I have scanned with MBAM, Spyware Doctor, and tdss killer and nothing turned up except for vs7debug was set aside by tdss killer as a potential threat. I also ran MS process monitor and it showed hardware interrupts as the culprit.

suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Alternative to cleaning out what you don't want:

Backup what you do want to save. (files, folders, favorites, mail/address book if you use an email client)

Restore the Dell to factory condition and start with a clean slate.

If there is no recovery partition or you don't have restore disks you can order them from Dell.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 July 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#3 adimock

adimock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks QE.

I was able to shut off the netsork stuff in the services area rather that try to remove it all. My performance is great.
However, the high CPU usage is nagging. It is related to a new HP 1536DNF printer that I installed. I removed all but the most current basic driver from the HP website and did an install of the latest firmware. The funny thing is that when the printer is plugged into the usb port the usage vasilates between 20 and 35%, when unplugged.. nada. plug back in and up it goes.

I called HP 94 minutes later and they said it is my laptop which by the way flawlessly runs every other printer I have installed.

MS process monitor says hardware interrupts.

Your thoughts?

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Is USB the only option for this printer? Is it a network printer? If so, hook it up that way instead. Swiss army knife printer/fax/scanner type devices can be problematic.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users