Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gender Separation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I ran across this, this morning and couldn't help but wonder what the far reaching implications of this can be??
Aren't we separated enough already??

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20120708/US.Single.Sex.Classrooms/?cid=hero_media

ALL of your thoughts and comments are welcome!!

Respectfully

MissPlaced

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 July 2012 - 11:07 AM.
Spelling corrections. ~ OB

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

To me, I think I can see the merits and demerits of both. I guess if its a public school, then let the school board decide, if its a private school, then it should be up to the school to make the decision.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I love school topics...

"the movement is widespread in states like South Carolina, which has more than 100 schools that offer some form of a single-gender program." Guess where I live?

My district uses single-sex classrooms, and we have seen success in doing so. Boy and girls are different - In elementary school they act different and learn in different ways. I wish I could take you into our classrooms and let you see what it is like. I have also had teachers that told me they could teach one sex better than the other.

With that said, you can see where I stand. I am not sure when they merge back (I will find out tomorrow), but there doesn't seem to be any social problems.

More to follow.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

We know anything the ACLU is against is bound to be beneficial..that alone tells me it must be a good thing..So of course they will fight it tooth and toe nail until it is banned.. that is a given.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

An update to my earlier post... Our schools have single sex classrooms in first and second grades, so they merge back together in third grade. More to come...

Edit to add other information...

Both boys and girls use our same state standards. That means they both - by state law - are taught the same content and tested with the same tests. They are just taught with different activities and lessons. Our program is a voluntary program. We still have coed classrooms. It is the choice of the parent to decide what path to take.

Edited by rigel, 10 July 2012 - 07:34 AM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

do you have an example of an activity where boys do better than girls? And one with which girls learn better than boys. I'd be curious to hear how the differences manifest.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

As a parent, as a father of 2 beautiful girls and a on-his-way-to-become-a-big boy (ages 4,6 and 9) I cannot disagree more with that system.

More and more, parents expect parenting from schools, teaching our kids how they should think and act.
I myself, do NOT blindly trust the views of our teachers, do NOT think the teachers are responsible for the up-bringing of my kids and do NOT agree with the view that parents are allowed to get children, both work 40+ hour work-weeks and pay other people to attend to our children.

I am not saying my wife should stay at home for the kids while I'm at work, not at all, she works 16 hours a week as well so we can get around with me working 32 hours, but thinking kids are better of separated then together seems plain wrong.

What's the next step? Forbid parents to get mixed children (sex / color / beliefs / you name it) ????!!!!

(or am I missing the point?)

Just my 2 cents,

\0/
-Sec

#8 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

@ -sec,

No, You're not missing the point.
In order to have a healthy well balanced discussion all sides of an issue must be looked at.
I can see the merit in what you're saying.
Being a parent myself( My Kids are now grown)I felt much the same way as you do, Truth be told, i could have been considered one of those pain in the neck parent's, because i held a tight rein on what they were allowed to teach my kids....simply because IT"S MY JOB to prepare my kids for life..PEROID.

@ rigel,

The only "seperated" class's we had when i was in school(Junior High) were PE(physical Education) and Home Ec(Home Economics),Later this changed as the male population of the school were made to take Home Ec, this wasn't necessarily a bad thing as the male population needed to know how to cook,clean,shop,sew.... :whistle: :lol:

Now "SHOP" ( Wood Shop and Auto Mechanics) were generaly "Seperated class's" IE Males only...That needed to be changed, because just as the "BOY'S" needed to take home EC,"Girls" needed to take Shop, if for no other reason then to learn how to change a tire,check their oil,tranny fluid,and where to put these fluids,and most important of all, how to keep a mechanic from trying to guess their net worth at the garage!!

(NOT intended to insult mechanic's at all, i know many fine mechanic's, who know mechanic's, who's eye's will glaze over and they begin to breath hard as an uniformed woman enter's the shop, trying to find out why her brakes are squeeking, and the mechanic will talk her into having a full brake job,when all she need's is Brake Pads, she then open's her wallet and he smiles all the way to the bank..)

To my mind "Seperation" isn't always a good thing....and it's not necessarily a bad thing either.....I'm still thinkin about this, my main concern is who's gonna walk thru this open door and use it for shall we say less then honorable purposes???

@ the_patroit11,
Care expound on Merit's/demerits as you see them??

@ myrti,
Do you have any examples, that you would care to share??

@ lora,

We know that the ACLU are pot stirrer's....BUT ACLU aside, what makes you think this has to be a good thing??

and finally i would like to 1) WELCOME -sec to BC, and 2) Thank you all for participating in this discussion

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Heya MissPlaced,

no I don't actually, which is why I would like to hear what rigel has observed in his schools. :wink:

I went to a mixed school with mixed PE classes, no separation at all. I was also rather unaware of that whole gender differences through much of my childhood and teen years. I played with cars, rather than with dolls. I liked lego instead of puppies. During the first few years of school this was never an issue, I don't think kids at that age differentiate between sexes much. This comes later on, when pre-puberty sets in. When I kept being gender-atypical, eg listening to rap-groups more than to boybands and mising out on all those daily soaps the other girls were always talking about, it made me "that weird girl".
IIRC someone once told me that kids don't judge/notice differences in their class mates until the age of 8 or 9, which would fit roughly with the break I noticed myself. Up till 8/9 my best friend was actually a guy, after he turned 9, he didn't want to have anything to do with girls anymore. They're icky, apparently. :wink: (This changed again later on, when he got very interested in girls :lol:)

I would not be in support of a permanent separation of the genders, but I can imagine that 1-2 years of separated classes can be beneficial if (and I don't know how realistic that if is) small kids are learning differently based on gender.

EG (and this is completely made up, but just as an example) let's assume that under the age of 8, boys primarily learn by association and girls primarily learn by imitation.
It would then make sense to have a class for boys where the teacher explains to them a new activity by comparing it to something they already know while the girls get a class where the teacher will show them how to do something and they will then have to repeat it themselves.

If you do a quick google search, you can find as many articles saying that the current school system in use is discriminating against girls as articles saying that the current school system in use is discriminating against boys. The fact is that boys and girls are not identical. The question is do they benefit more if you facilitate their learning by taking those differences into account or do they benefit more if you ignore the difference and teach them in a way that is half here, half there but makes them interact with each other. For now I can't say which I would pick.
regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 10 July 2012 - 01:41 PM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

@MissPlaced: To me, anything that can cut back on disruptive-behavior and confusion (especially now that the school system is more or less just warehousing kids) has got to be a big plus... Why do I believe separating them would help in this way? By looking back to when I was in school and remembering how it was in the few classes and activities that the boys were not a part of was always calmer and more focused.. especially when the their hormones started kicking in..:crazy:

#11 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Quote-box-glitch??? Never mind...

To quote MissPlaced:
"....simply because IT"S MY JOB to prepare my kids for life..PEROID.

To my mind "Seperation" isn't always a good thing....and it's not necessarily a bad thing either.....I'm still thinkin about this, my main concern is who's gonna walk thru this open door and use it for shall we say less then honorable purposes???

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced"

You read my mind.

But seriously, I wasn't about bringing that up, but it's another important thing to look at, especially considering all the sickening stories coming out about the Catholic church and - education lately in this part of the world (Netherlands / Belgium). It has affected 1000's of lives in a relative small community, and still does apparently. :angry:

Respectfully indeed, +1, and thanks for the welcome MissPlaced!

@myrti:

Could we also please note the sociological effects in general into this discussion, those that affect us 24/7 and not only on school itself? All due respect myrti, I couldn't agree more on the rest you daid! :thumbup2:

I myself also had mixed PE in "high school" (we have another system here), and espescially on days we did field or ball-sports, we ALL, being around 16, had the time of our lives :wink: - :wink:

Some classes might generally be more suited or interesting to a specific sex, but what self-respected lady here would agree that computers are something for boys and girls could learn something else that is useful to them?
Even my own girls would kill me for saying that! :inlove:

My wife, a primary-school-teacher herself, has a need to differentiate between ages though. Younger kids need to learn the basic social structures, before counting and spelling. Then basic communication and the platform on witch children base the rest of their lives. We're talking 3-8 year old kids. We both think separating kids at those ages would harm them far more in the future then do them any good.

After that age though, my wife does see a general tendency within boys for having the need to be physically active, at least more then within girls.
They are experimenting with "variable brakes" as the weather and other factors seem to have a strong influence on kids' behavior. Also, the more "interesting" classes are sometimes given on the playground, although that is not really catching on as I heard, mainly because other people inside get jealous... (Hahaha, go figure!)

In high school however, we both agree that all main classes should be given together, and specific classes could be separated, as chosen by the STUDENT. Give them descent alternatives of secondary classes to choose from themselves and let them figure it out??? Or is that tooo easy? :P

Kids... :wink:

#12 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

My Daughter-in-law is a teacher,so i asked her about this, because as a teacher i wanted her perspective on this....
Her responce was this:

They don't have "Seperated Class's" at her school just yet, but she has heard about this and did some checking on her own,she can see the positives, IE,Boy's learn differently then girls...and the negatives as well..IE,Children need to be able to get along in ALL situations, so seperating them to her is a negative that would stunt their growth as children and later on as adults, and altho most boys learn with a more hands on approach, so do some girls..I know i do,,I can read about anything and just not get it, BUT show me and i'm all over it!! LOL
I found alot of merit in what she had to say and I agree with her perspective.

When we seperate the children then they both lose out on the positives that they can gain from each other.

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#13 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

OMG

we have attained the human understanding mount of "equal does not mean the same"

next i hope we get to-womens lib is not the right to have to act like a man to make a living

Maybe even some day women will be allowed to wear dresses again instead of tee shirts that advertise's "LOVE MY 57 CHEVY"

gosh maybe even vased flowers could make a come back, who knows we may even come to understand poetry again.

heres a poem-

a mans strength is his weakness

a womens weakness is her strength

:hello:

PS I am a victorian feminist and am not digging this whole big "ugly art is cool", "sensitivity and beauty is a stupid thing" jive at all, cause i like mature calm women.......a lot, femininity is a psycological value that heals, and "Some" little boys 6 or 60 tend to beat it up because they don't have the guts to let themselves experiance intimacy

so they ridicule it. sometimes whole cultures do it.

now theres a funny creature, a being that ridicules the nature of what brought it into the world.

Edited by jimbotoo, 14 August 2015 - 12:42 AM.

#14 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

They do separate the boys from the girls in health classes when they have the sex ed classes. Also there was a thing about Target Stores having girl and boy toys separated and labled. I don't see anything wrong with gender separation but some things are better when both genders are taught together like it was when I was in school.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#15 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

When I was very small 3-9 We had girls at my school. We didn't mix. I can't remember ever speaking to a girl. When I went to a grammar school I really wanted to speak (and do other things) with girls but we were single sex. Is this an earlier version of "Youth is wasted on the Young?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users