Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SeaTools For DOS Problems

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 biip

biip

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383651.html - Hamluis.

Yes it boots from the DVD drive, It begins by "Starting BCDW....ok." then just some GNU stuff, it gets to the point of "Loading XMS driver" then this error code:
"Invalid Opcode at 000B 0000 0402 086F 025D 0702 0702 0A83 0CEE 2132 0000 0000 0000"
Then it just stops. The system is Vista HP 32 bit, on a Dell Inspiron 1545. The reason I want to run SeaTools Utility is because it has been having problems booting. Sometimes it boots fine, others it needs to do a repair prior to booting. Then when in windows, again sometimes everything works fine, and sometimes things don't. There seems to be no consistency, and there are no minidumps, and the only errors that show up in "Event Viewer" say that "this usually points to a hardware problem", I have run Memtest86, and it came back without errors.

I get this exact same Invalid Opcode error running the latest version of SeaTools for Dos, which I was also told to run by SeaTools for Windows after it failed the Long test. Interestingly, it's also a Dell Inspirion 1545 and the drive is a Model: ST9500420AS. When loading SeaTools I pushed F8 to step through the autoexec.bat and saw that the error occurs right after trying to load himem.sys.

It seems there are many cases of this problem when doing a search, but no real solutions, even at Seagate forums. Is there a way to edit the autoexec file in DOS and change the himem.sys command to make it work? The current command is something like "device=himem.sys"

Or did you ever find a working copy of Seatools?

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2012 - 09:36 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

The problem actually seems to be in the computer rather than the bootable SeaTools CD.
  • There is an incompatibility issue with some systems.
One of the suggested solutions is to use one of the earlier versions of SeaTools for DOS.
  • Have you tried that yet?

NOTE: If you have any difficulty booting with this version, please use one of the legacy versions of SeaTools for DOS.

Source: http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

and:

Note: If you have system compatibility problems with the v2 GUI version, please use the v1 Text version. It has the same level of diagnostic capability and hardware support. These two versions are updated and released together.

Edited by AustrAlien, 04 July 2012 - 09:10 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 biip

biip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

I tried Seatools for DOS v1.12 Text and v2.20 Graphical and both give the same Invalid Opcode as the latest version 2.23 right after the batch file loads "device=himem.sys"

I wondered if installing the Seagate ISO to a USB flash drive would make any difference since maybe it is a hardware conflict, but that is proving more difficult than I imagined. I tried WinToFlash, UNetBootin, and USBtoISO without any success so far, but I'm not sure I'm using them correctly.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

I wondered if installing the Seagate ISO to a USB flash drive would make any difference since maybe it is a hardware conflict ...

Yes, that will likely be successful based on past observations.

Create a bootable UBCD flashdrive.

Let's use UNetbootin to load the UBCD .ISO file to the flashdrive which will then be bootable.
  • Note: I have just tested the following and confirmed that it works successfully without issue.
:step1: Download the UBCD .ISO file to your working computer.
[*](Sorry about it not being exactly straight-forward, easy and obvious!)[/list][/list] :step2: I suggest that before you get started with UNetbootin that you perform a quick format of the flashdrive with the Windows GUI version of fat32format.
:step3: Download the UNetbootin application for Windows.
Use the directions part way down the UNetbootin web page under the heading Installing Other Distributions Using UNetbootin:

Installing Other Distributions Using UNetbootin

• Download and run UNetbootin, then select the "Diskimage" option and supply it with an ISO (CD image).

==================================

Test the hard drive.

Boot the ailing computer with the UBCD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the flashdrive/USB HDD.)
  • At the first screen select HDD and press <ENTER>.
  • Arrow-down to Diagnosis and press <ENTER>.
  • Arrow-down the screen all the way to the next page and highlight SeaTools for DOS V2.23 and press <ENTER>.
  • Click OK (the mouse should be working now).
  • When the tool has finished scanning for hard drives, do you see the HDD details (Model/Serial numbers) in the box under Drive List?
    If so, that is good!
    If not, then you have a problem: Let us know about it.
  • On the menu at the top of the window, click on Basic Tests > Short test and allow the test to complete.
    • Then run the Long test, which will take a considerably longer time to complete.
  • Click on Exit to close SeaTools and shut down the computer.
Please let us know the result of running the two tests.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 biip

biip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:37 AM

Following your directions I successfully created an Ultimate Boot CD on a 4GB Micro SD. Cool CD! UBCD has both Seatools for Dos 2.23 and 1.10. Unfortunately, neither would fully load. Instead of getting the Invalid Opcode error they both loaded a little further, appearing to load "device=himem.exe" fine, but then appearing to freeze with a blinking cursor after loading "device=nansi.sys." Pressing any keys at the blinking cursor would eventually result in a lock up and the keys just beeping when pressed. Ctrl-Alt-Delete still worked. But I couldn't get anything further to load after nansi.sys.

Images of stepping through both 2.23 and 1.10 showing where they stop loading with a blinking cursor after nansi.sys:
http://i.imgur.com/ddw1T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/z9odf.jpg

I went into the BIOS and tried disabling everything possible, including external USB, as I was still able to boot UBCD off a SD card slot, but Seatools still stopped loading at the same point; nansi.sys. Options I disabled included; Wireless Switch, Bluetooth, Wireless LAN, Internal Wireless WLAN, Internal Bluetooth, Fn Key Emulation, External USB, Adapter Warnings, Integrated NIC, USB Wake Support, Wake on LAN, Module Bay, and Intel Speedstep. There is only one other option and it's for SATA AHCI, ATA, or disabled, but when I went to change this it warned that all data on the drive may be lost, so I left it. I'm thinking I should try it though. Maybe the drive would work beter in ATA mode? Doing some more searching it appears some adapters may not handle the full speed of the drive well, and some have recomended reducing the transfer rate from 3Gb/s to 1.5Gb/s (not sure if this would apply here but I'm tempted to try):

Since there is no labeling about this jumper on the drive and information about the jumper is hard to find it can be frustrating if you are having issues setting one of these drives up in your notebook and find that you encounter issues. Having the jumper installed will force the drive to operate in the 1.5Gb/s mode, which is needed on select notebooks like the Thinkpad T61p. This is due to the fact some older 1.5Gbits/sec SATA cards do not support auto negotiation with newer 3.0Gbits/sec drives. Systems using older SATA host adapters may stop responding during boot or may respond with a âœdrive not detected❠error. If this happens on your notebook while trying to upgrade to one of these drives just place a two-pin jumper (not included with the drive) onto the two left pins of the jumper block and the errors should go away.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/967/1/

Yet, the drive boots into Win 7 and does not stop responding during boot, so it's probably not an issue. The drive is just reporting bad sectors in SeaToos for Windows and there's a conflict with running SeaTools for DOS to try to correct the sectors.

There are some other tools on the UBCD. I'm wondering if any of them would work with the Seagate drive to either low level format it or correct the bad sectors?

Edited by biip, 26 July 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

For what it's worth this one will work on all brands of drive.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=gwscan
Supports: All Operating Systems
Note: This utility will attempt to read a hard drive, write zeros to it, and measure seek times and data transfer rates. It also will repair certain issues with Gateway IDE hard drives. Before opening the file, please insert a blank diskette into the floppy drive that has not been formatted in Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows NT.

Hopefully you can get in onto a Bootable USB flash drive. Since you have to run it from DOS.
I was able to extract it with WinRAR.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

For what it's worth this one will work on all brands of drive.

• http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=gwscan
Hopefully you can get it onto a Bootable USB flash drive.

The link leads to the Gateway site, and the available download for GWSCAN 3.15 which requires the use of a floppy!

HDD diagnostic utilities available with UBCD include (among others) ...
  • GWSCAN V3.15 (Gateway)
  • GWSCAN V5.12 (Gateway)
Of the other utilities available with UBCD, I suggest trying:
  • MHDD32 V4.6
  • ViVARD V0.4

... The drive is ... reporting bad sectors in SeaToos for Windows ...

Let's have a closer look: We need to get a look at the SMART data. You already have UBCD, so this will not be at all difficult to do.

FIRSTLY ... Create a bootable UBCD flashdrive. <<<< DONE!

==================================

SECONDLY ... Get the S.M.A.R.T data using UBCD > Parted Magic

Boot the ailing computer with the UBCD flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the flashdrive/USB HDD.)
  • At the first menu screen, select Parted Magic and press <ENTER>.
    Use Default settings ...
    Be patient until UBCD loads and you are presented with the Desktop.
  • Click Start (bottom-left-corner button) > System Tools > Disk Health (GSmartControl)
  • In the GSmartControl window that appears, click on the device that represents the failing hard drive (any other device may be a flashdrive if you have one connected) to select it.
  • On the top menu, click Device > View Details.
    A Device Information window for the failing hard drive will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab at the top (to display the S.M.A.R.T data).
Save the S.M.A.R.T data as a text output by smartctl.
  • At the bottom of the Attributes page, click Save As.
  • Look at the default file name and location that the file will be saved.
    Default location will be "root".
  • Click Save.
====================
Now to get the text file uploaded to BleepingComputer.com.

Establish internet connection

At the UBCD Desktop, click the 'start' button (bottom-left corner button) > Internet > Start network.
  • The Start Network Options window will open.
  • Ensure the appropriate option is selected, and click Continue ...
    The Network Utility window will open.
  • Ensure the appropriate option is selected, and click OK.
    You should now have a working internet connection.
Open Firefox and go to BleepingComputer site

At the UBCD Desktop, click the 'start' button (bottom-left corner button) > Internet > Firefox.

Attach file &/or paste text to a post
  • In your topic at the bottom of the page, click on Add Reply.
  • Under the text box, under the heading Attachments, click on "Browse" to browse for the file that you wish to attach.
    A file upload window will appear.
  • On the left-side, click on "root" to display the contents of the root directory.
  • You should see the text file there that you saved earlier. Click on it, to select it, and then click Open at the bottom-right of the window.
  • Back at the BleepingComputer.com forums window, click on Attach this file.
  • Now type a few words in the text box "text file attached" and then at the bottom click on Add Reply.
  • Note: If you are feeling confident enough to try it, you can open the text file with a text editor and paste the contents in a reply so it can be seen easily by anyone browsing the topic, if you wish. If you do this, don't forget to enclose in CODE tags to preserve the format/spacing.
  • Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.
[/list]All done!

Edited by AustrAlien, 26 July 2012 - 06:47 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

There are some other tools on the UBCD. I'm wondering if any of them would work with the Seagate drive to either low level format it or correct the bad sectors?

I thought now would be an opportune time to reply to this and answer your query.
  • Yes, in a word!
When booting with UBCD > HDD
  • Arrow-down to select Disk Wiping and press <ENTER>
    You will see a list of tools there.
  • I suggest choosing dban (Darik's Boot and Nuke) and using the "autonuke" command which will wipe 3 times.
    *** Heed the warning about it wiping ALL hard drives ... INCLUDING any flashdrive ... connected to the system! ***
FYI:
****Success with refreshing the hard drive and removing a number of read errors****good example****
Platypus' sophisticated/technical explanation of refreshing the hard drive here also ....
See: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic442562.html
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 biip

biip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

I found out a friend had a Dell Inspiron 1520. Since the model number is close to the Inspirion 1545 which fails to run Seagate Seatools for DOS, I was curious if it would run on the 1520. To my surprise, Seatools for DOS runs perfectly, both the UBCD USB drive and the original CDROM I created, including both version 2.23 and 1.10. Thus, I decided to remove the ST9500420AS D005SDM1 drive from the 1545 and install it in the 1520. After doing this, Seatools still ran fine on the 1520 with the failing drive, and it was able to not only correct 100 bad LBAs but also fully erase the drive without any further errors. The drive tested good after repair. So, obviously this issue is purely a conflict between the Inspiron 1545 and Seagate Seatools for DOS; specifically loading himem.exe in DOS.

Since SeaTools corrected the drive errors and was able to fully format the drive without error, I'm assuming that other tools would have worked as well, including the suggested GWSCAN, MHDD32, ViVARD, and dban.

I recognize the original problem of running Seatools for DOS on a Dell Inspirion 1545 is not solved. However, running any other tool which low level formats a failing drive or corrects bad sectors should be an alternative? With the drive now repaired by SeaTools for DOS, would there be any benefit to still submitting the SMART data or testing it with some other tools? If so, I would be happy to do so.

Two extremely valuable things to learn in this thread, regardless, are how to create a USB boot drive with UNetbootin and what a great tool UBCD is!

AustrAlien, I really appreciate your precise instrustions. Let me know if you would like to me test further or submit the SMART test still.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I would most certainly be interested in getting a look at the SMART data to maybe learn a bit more about what has been going on with that hard drive. I am guessing that you would also be interested.

Thank you for reporting on the excellent trouble-shooting you have been doing, and the hard drive swap to a similar model laptop and the subsequent successful use of SeaTools for DOS. I will make a note of the issue on that particular model!

I think that I would still advise you to use dban > autonuke on that hard drive and follow up with another test, just to be sure of doing the best job of repairing/renewing the hard drive that you can do.

:exclame: *** Don't forget to remove the flashdrive after booting from it and loading dban into memory, before starting autonuke! *** :exclame:

Edited by AustrAlien, 27 July 2012 - 06:55 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hi Biip

Nice work. I too would be interested in seeing the SMART data. It has always been my understanding that SeaTools' repairs are a matter of finding unstable sectors which puts them into SMART's C5 attribute "Current Pending Sector Count" where they stay until the drive is asked to write to them at which time they are remapped and added to SMART's 05 attribute "Reallocated Sectors Count".

So when SeaTools does a "repair" it actually just requests that all of the sectors in C5 are written to which forces the drive to automatically remap them (and increment the data in 05). So SMART actually does the repair (remap) because SeaTools forces it to.

Anyway, this is an opportunity to see if that is the case. If SMART attribute C5 is 0 on your drive and 05 is a number over 100 then that would help to verify this elusive secret for me.

I'm sure the technique it uses is published somewhere but I've never been able to find it :)

James

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Re: the remaining puzzle ...

... the original problem of running Seatools for DOS on a Dell Inspirion 1545 is not solved.

By chance, I went back ...

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383651.html - Hamluis.

Joining the dots .... by going back to the topic in which you originally posted .... I found the following later post:

In case anybody finds this thread, I just wanted to say that I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and had the very same problem.
I went into the BIOS, changed the SATA operation from AHCI to ATA and then I was able to successfully boot using the SeaTools for DOS CD.

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383651.html/page__view__findpost__p__2778818

Have we found a way around this issue?

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 July 2012 - 12:57 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 biip

biip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:08 AM

smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [i686-linux-3.0.0-pmagic] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Model Family:     Seagate Momentus 7200.4

Device Model:     ST9500420AS

Serial Number:    5VJ749AP

LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0298c73c7

Firmware Version: D005SDM1

User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes [500 GB]

Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical

Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

ATA Version is:   8

ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is:    Sun Jul 29 00:55:57 2012 UTC

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x00)	Offline data collection activity

was never started.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.

Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed

without error or no self-test has ever 

been run.

Total time to complete Offline 

data collection: 		(    0) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities: 			 (0x73) SMART execute Offline immediate.

Auto Offline data collection on/off support.

Suspend Offline collection upon new

command.

No Offline surface scan supported.

Self-test supported.

Conveyance Self-test supported.

Selective Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Supports SMART auto save timer.

Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.

General Purpose Logging supported.

Short self-test routine 

recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.

Extended self-test routine

recommended polling time: 	 ( 110) minutes.

Conveyance self-test routine

recommended polling time: 	 (   3) minutes.

SCT capabilities: 	       (0x103f)	SCT Status supported.

SCT Error Recovery Control supported.

SCT Feature Control supported.

SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   099   072   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       171004014

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   098   098   085    Pre-fail  Always       -       0

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       545

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   059   059   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       850

7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   077   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       17410701172

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   091   091   000    Old_age   Always       -       8354

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0

12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   037   020    Old_age   Always       -       523

184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always       -       0

187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       65535

188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       8590067219

189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   060   046   045    Old_age   Always       -       40 (Min/Max 40/40)

191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       67

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       57

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   069   069   000    Old_age   Always       -       63595

194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   040   054   000    Old_age   Always       -       40 (Min/Max 0/65531)

195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   049   044   000    Old_age   Always       -       171004014

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       1

198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1

240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       80049600471025

241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1904013200

242 Total_LBAs_Read         0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       310468588

254 Free_Fall_Sensor        0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       1

SMART Error Log Version: 1

ATA Error Count: 64792 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)

CR = Command Register [HEX]

FR = Features Register [HEX]

SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]

SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]

CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]

CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]

DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]

DC = Device Command Register [HEX]

ER = Error register [HEX]

ST = Status register [HEX]

Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as

DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,

SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 64792 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 8354 hours (348 days + 2 hours)

When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

40 51 00 d7 b7 1b 01  Error: WP at LBA = 0x011bb7d7 = 18593751

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:

CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------

61 00 08 98 b3 5e 40 00      02:55:42.940  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 01 e0 40 a1 41 00      02:55:42.940  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 90 b3 5e 40 00      02:55:42.939  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 80 b3 5e 40 00      02:55:42.938  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 ff ff ff 4f 00      02:55:42.937  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

Error 64791 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 8354 hours (348 days + 2 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

61 00 20 ff ff ff 4f 00      02:55:40.093  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 40 ff ff ff 4f 00      02:55:40.090  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 c0 9b ea 41 00      02:55:40.084  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 20 ff ff ff 4f 00      02:55:40.081  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 20 ff ff ff 4f 00      02:55:40.081  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

Error 64790 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 8354 hours (348 days + 2 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

61 00 08 90 b3 5e 40 00      02:55:34.424  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 01 e0 40 a1 41 00      02:55:34.424  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 98 b3 5e 40 00      02:55:34.421  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 88 b3 5e 40 00      02:55:34.420  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 18 4e dd 3a 40 00      02:55:34.420  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

Error 64789 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 8354 hours (348 days + 2 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

61 00 10 36 dd 3a 40 00      02:55:31.712  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

60 00 01 d7 b7 1b 41 00      02:55:31.712  READ FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 e0 01 5f 40 00      02:55:31.712  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 2e dd 3a 40 00      02:55:31.711  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      02:55:31.711  READ LOG EXT

Error 64788 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 8354 hours (348 days + 2 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

61 00 08 2e dd 3a 40 00      02:55:29.103  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

61 00 08 e0 01 5f 40 00      02:55:29.103  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED

60 00 01 d7 b7 1b 41 00      02:55:29.102  READ FPDMA QUEUED

ec 00 00 00 00 00 40 00      02:55:29.101  IDENTIFY DEVICE

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff      02:55:28.948  NOP [Abort queued commands]

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%      8353         18590301

# 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%      8353         13891828

# 3  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%      8335         18577886

# 4  Short offline       Completed: read failure       50%      8335         13891827

# 5  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%      8173         18574095

# 6  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%      8167         18579611

# 7  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      4010         -

# 8  Short offline       Completed without error       00%        19         -

# 9  Short offline       Completed without error       00%         1         -

#10  Short offline       Completed without error       00%         1         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1

SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

1        0        0  Not_testing

2        0        0  Not_testing

3        0        0  Not_testing

4        0        0  Not_testing

5        0        0  Not_testing

Selective self-test flags (0x0):

After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.

If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Attached Files

#14 biip

biip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

In case anybody finds this thread, I just wanted to say that I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and had the very same problem.
I went into the BIOS, changed the SATA operation from AHCI to ATA and then I was able to successfully boot using the SeaTools for DOS CD.

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383651.html/page__view__findpost__p__2778818

Have we found a way around this issue?

I can confirm, changing SATA from AHCI to ATA in BIOS allows the Dell Inspiron to run SeaTools for DOS (this is the one BIOS setting I had not changed before due to the warning). Also, changing the setting from AHCI to ATA did prevent the current Windows 7 x64 installation from loading, resulting in a blue screen crash. However, changing the setting back from ATA to AHCI allowed windows to boot fine again, so apparently it does not permanently harm anything, it just won't load in ATA.

Something else interesting, when I loaded Seatools in ATA mode the 100 bad LBAs showed up again during the Long test, but then Seatools also reported that it had fixed them again too. So maybe they never were really fixed, even though I did Full Erase with Seatools.

Dban will load on this 1545 laptop, but when attempting to do an Autonuke it crashes with the following errors (both ATA and AHCI):

Error /dev/sdb (process crash)
Error /dev/sda (process crash)

Should I try a different format utility?

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

:thumbup2: Thank you for testing and confirming!

Dban will load on this 1545 laptop, but when attempting to do an Autonuke it crashes with the following errors (both ATA and AHCI):

Error /dev/sdb (process crash)
Error /dev/sda (process crash)

What is the hard drive device sdb ?
  • sda is most likely the internal Seagate hard drive.
The usual (& only thing that I have come across) that causes this error/problem when attempting to run dban is the presence of card reader(s) attached to the system.
  • Disconnecting/disabling the card reader(s) fixes the problem and allows dban to run normally.
Did you remove the flashdrive (that you booted from) before attempting to run autonuke?
  • If sdb was not the flashdrive, what could it be?
  • Try running fdisk -lu from a terminal in PartedMagic to find out the answer (hopefully?).

make sure all unnecessary usb devices, usb hubs, memory
card readers (whether internal or usb), multi-function printers (because
most have memory card readers) are disconnected before using dban.

Source: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2988662&group_id=61951&atid=498945
================================

UBCD > Parted Magic > fdisk -lu

Boot the ailing computer with the UBCD flashdrive.
  • At the first menu screen, select Parted Magic and press <ENTER>.
    Use Default settings ...
    Be patient until UBCD loads and you are presented with the Desktop.
  • Open a terminal by clicking on the monitor icon (the black screen titled LXTerminal) at the bottom left of the Desktop screen.
  • Type fdisk -lu at the prompt and press <ENTER>
    (that is a L as in Llama and not a ONE)
    Note: There is a space between "fdisk" and "-lu".
Please report what sda and sdb represent.
========================

Edited to add: The hard drive is no more than scrap ... and a play/testing toy.
  • Discard it to the trash.

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 059 059 036 Pre-fail Always - 850

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 July 2012 - 04:47 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users