Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Usb Has Ruined My Computer!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bacchus

Bacchus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Hello friends; I'm in a heap of trouble right now.

I'll summarize it if you don't want to read my whole explanation:

I plugged in an mp3 player in my USB port and now my computer won't work. It will turn on, but no signal goes to the monitor. I have used the mp3 player dozens of times before, so I don't know why it suddenly screwed up. Please help.

A few weeks ago, my brother tried to plug in his mp3 player in his USB port. His computer suddenly shut off and wouldn't turn on again. I thought it was his power source, and so I replaced it.

Then, and here's the funny part, my clumsy fingers happened to dislodge a capacitator from the video card while I was plugging the new source in, and when I turned on the computer unknowingly I fried the motherboard, apparently. So his computer is pretty ruined for now. He's in a wheelchair so he's on it a lot, but at least I was able to set him up with a temporary 800mhz system for him to browse the web and whatnot.

So, cut to a couple weeks later. Last night, in particular. I'm about to go for a run, and so I plug in my mp3 player to put in some more music. It only when in half-way when BAM, the monitor shuts off like it's in power-save mode. What the?! I turn it off via a cold restart, and the monitor even says it is in power save mode. That's weird. My brother's ruined computer and my computer are the exact same model; I bought them together.

Now, both my brother and I have plugged stuff into the USB port before. Why, suddenly, would it do such a thing? Luckily, I haven't ruined the motherboard on my computer -- at least I hope I haven't -- so I'm hoping there's some kind of solution I'm not seeing to the problem. I'm pretty comfortable with computer hardware, seeing as how I worked as a technician as a summer job, but this is really confusing me. Please, does anyone know how to help me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I'm using Windows XP if that makes any difference, and I've already tried using different monitors. The problem persisted, though. The computer would turn on, but no signal to the monitor. I know it's worse than that, though, because I know the computer isn't even starting up Windows once it's on. There's no log in sound, and when I press but not hold the power button the computer doesn't turn itself off. So, I think there are problems. Again, I would love some help!

Edited by Bacchus, 05 March 2006 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

Are any of the lights coming on, hard drive, floppy, CD/DVD? Are you getting beeps? Have you tried a different video card? Try removing a stick of memory, one at a time, to see if one of your sticks of RAM failed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:33 AM

Yeah, the green light which indicates the computer is on seems to be working fine, and the red light which shows when the computer is processing blinks intermittently like normal -- sure signs the computer is processing, I think.

There are no annoying beeps which normally come from bad ram, but I suppose I'll try removing them just the same, to make my Acklan happy. I haven't tried a new video card yet, mainly out of fear that I'll find my current one is busted and I spent too much money to lose another one. Damn it. All right, I'll get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users