Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems connecting to university internet connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 i3izkit12

i3izkit12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi everyone, I'm completely new, a first time poster, and normally I would take the time to post in the introductions section and get to know people before I start mooching off of knowledge but I'm a little short on time so please forgive my rudeness.

*** Please note that I know almost nothing about computers/networking/thingsusefulinthisforum Therefore it would extremely appreciated if any advice is given in layman's terms and step by step if possible. ***

My girlfriend just got hired as a professor at Far East University in South Korea and has moved into the dorms. They don't offer wireless connectivity so I brought her a router. The router is an iptime router model# N704M. So when I got here I found out that even with the ethernet cable the internet would only work by setting a static ip address(?) They gave me a paper with a default gateway, default dns server, and ip address that I had to enter in the adapter settings. When I hooked up my router I did the same to the adapter settings on the network and the wireless works fine on her laptop. I changed the ip adress by one number on each computer connected to the wireless network and they all seem to have a fine connection.

Problems:

1. I can't seem to get any other wireless devices to connect to the network. Phones, tablets, mp3 players nothing. I actually rooted her phone a long time ago so it even has the advanced settings where you can enter the above values and no matter how much I fidget with it I can't get it to stay connected or it connects but has no internet access.

2. I read somewhere that I can connect the devices by adding a DHCP (?) that corresponds to each devices specific MAC address. This leads into my second problem which is that I can't seem to get into the router's settings. I tried typing in the default address 192.186.0.1, the new static address I inputted, and everything else I can think of and I can't get it to work.

If anyone could please lend me some wisdom I would really appreciate it.

I apologize for the wall of text and hope that someone is willing to go through it.

Thanks in advance,

JiHo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

I would contact the schools IT Department.

#3 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Many schools don't approve hooking up a router in the dorms (for security reasons). Does the router still have an internet connection? They may have locked the address if they don't approve it. Work with the campus IT department - you're going to have to work within their network, which may mean setting static IP address for each of your devices, if they let you use the router at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users