Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some folder not visible in windows explorer.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bomblast

bomblast

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

Hello, recently my antivirus avast detected virus in some folders but none of them are visible in the windows explorer. I have also enabled the show hidden files and folders in the folder options but still the folders are not shown. I can see these folder when I search them in the "Everything" search program but not in the explorer. Please help me with this problem. Can I have an alternative to windows explorer which is light and also shows all the folders. The hidden folders are:
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService
C:\Recycler

Edited by bomblast, 09 July 2012 - 02:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

If you have had any infections, even minor ones, then this program will help open the files that can be hidden by some infections -
UNHIDE
Publisher: BleepingComputer
Platform: Windows | Category: Security Utilities
Unhide is a program that reverts back the changes made to your files and Windows Registry by the rogue.FakeHDD family of rogue anti-spyware program. This family of malware pretends to be a hard disk repair and system optimization program for Windows. In reality, though, these programs are computer infections that deliberately hide your files and change certain settings in the Windows Registry to make it appear that you have lost data on your hard drive. It will then prompt you to purchase the program to restore the data.

#3 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

If you have had any infections, even minor ones, then this program will help open the files that can be hidden by some infections -
UNHIDE
Publisher: BleepingComputer
Platform: Windows | Category: Security Utilities
Unhide is a program that reverts back the changes made to your files and Windows Registry by the rogue.FakeHDD family of rogue anti-spyware program. This family of malware pretends to be a hard disk repair and system optimization program for Windows. In reality, though, these programs are computer infections that deliberately hide your files and change certain settings in the Windows Registry to make it appear that you have lost data on your hard drive. It will then prompt you to purchase the program to restore the data.

I used unhide but the problem is that it only revealed those folders which I can see after enabling 'show hidden files and folders' option in 'folder option' like 'local settings' folder etc. I think it changed their attribute to visible but the folders which I was talking about are still not visible in the explorer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

<<...recently my antivirus avast detected virus in some folders but none of them are visible in the windows explorer. I have also enabled the show hidden files and folders in the folder options but still the folders are not shown. I can see these folder when I search them in the "Everything" search program but not in the explorer.>>

Can you post a screenshot...of Everything reflecting these folders which are not otherwise visible?

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#5 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

<<...recently my antivirus avast detected virus in some folders but none of them are visible in the windows explorer. I have also enabled the show hidden files and folders in the folder options but still the folders are not shown. I can see these folder when I search them in the "Everything" search program but not in the explorer.>>

Can you post a screenshot...of Everything reflecting these folders which are not otherwise visible?

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

I am attaching these screenshots of 'everything' showing those folders which I am talking about.

Attached Files

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Those two folders should be clearly visible...if you follow the designated paths. They are system folders.

You have enabled the system for viewing system folders, correct?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx?mfr=true

Louis

#7 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Those two folders should be clearly visible...if you follow the designated paths. They are system folders.

You have enabled the system for viewing system folders, correct?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx?mfr=true

Louis

Ok, I got my problem.
I had not enabled to view the operating system folders and only enabled hidden files and folders.
Thank you for your help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

:thumbsup: , glad you solved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users