Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make a reply field

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

I say "reply field" because I am not sure what else to call it.
I have a website where I post reviews of movies. I want to give readers the option to comment on my reviews, the way people can reply to a blog post.
I only have basic HTML knowledge. So I was wondering, can a reply field be done using just HTML? or does this get into Java and or PHP?
Are there any freeware programs that can be installed on my server that would allow such a function? I know there is free PHP forum software that just require a simple software installation via Cpanel, and I am curious if such software exists for a simple reply field.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

A reply form can be made using only html, but that is all html can do. You will need some sort of script on the server side to take the contents of the form and store it; the language used to do this is irrelevant. Any of a number of languages can do this. Once it is stored, then there needs to be some mechanism to retrieve the reviews and somehow add them to your web pages. You can probably find a script somewhere that will receive the information from the form, but it will have to be customized to your set-up.

Your other option is to include an email link, and manually edit your web pages to add the comments. Then you can get by with just html.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users