Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hello All,

Could anyone tell me how to permanently remove a user from the system. When using the explore all users on right click start, will removing user folders remove the user?

When I open user accounts in control panel, the only users I see are myself as administrator and guest, but I know there are three other users that I would like to remove. How come I cant see all users as an administrator?

All advice is much appreciated.

Thank you
Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

Hi there and welcome to BC!

There is a great tutorial found here, which i've recommended to people before. It even has pictures so it should be quite easy to follow. There is a set way of deleting an account through the control panel - deleting the specific folders would not remove the account and would most likely bring about a handful of other problems down the line. That's how to delete the account.

You say that you can't view the tab of the user you wish to delete - when you boot and get to the log-in screen can you see these users listed?

David

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

Thank you for the reply..
When getting to logon screen, where the welcome screen was enabled (it is now disabled), only my logon and guest appeared, but when ctrl+alt X 2 is performed, I can log on with the other accounts.

I just wanted to get rid of the other accounts for the fact that I know how or that it can be done..I'm not keen on having stuff going on that I cant change. When running control userpasswords2 from the start menu, only the administrators are present. Even in control panel none of the other users can be changed.

I really appreciate your help.
Darren

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

Try the following:

Using an acount with administrator rights -

In the control panel, click on "users and passwords"

Click the advanced tab

On the left side of the screen that opens, click on "users"

That should open a screen named "local users and groups"

on the left side click on "users"

On the right side single left click on the account/s you want to delete or disable (you can do either), then right click.

That should give you the ability to delete the accounts or disable them or change passwords.

Be careful though because you will not be able to access documents that are in those accounts if you delete them.

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

I only see user accounts in control panel and in that window, only my account and guest is displayed.

My avail options are
Change account; create account;change the way users log on and off.

Thats all I see :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users