Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display On Bootup With Put Together Pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peterpete

peterpete

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hello ive put together a pc from scratch,heres what ive got,P4 mainboard L4S8A2 from elite group with award bios,160GB IDE western digital caviar hard drive,256mb sd ddr ram, P4 2.4 gb processor,nvidia 64 mb graphics card,creative cd rom,standard floppy,atx gaming computer case,processor fan and heatsink.What ive got is when i turned it on for the first time the fans run the hdd works the floppy and cd rom work but i have no disply on moniter.Motherboard did not come with any on board graphic port so i had to install graphics card but its not turning moniter on,at first it had a long beep now that doesnt do that anymore,tried removing motherboard from case and powering up and same problem.I bought the mainboard new form ebay and the processor is used but supposed to work fine,Im not sure what to do could this be a faulty motherboard or a processor issue.The only jumper i have on the mainboard is to clear cmos everything else is automatic,what should i do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

Remove and reinstall the video card and memory. Sometimes they do not seat properly in the socket and need to be reinstalled. Did you put thermal paste between the processor and the heatsink? a common oversight.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 peterpete

peterpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

i think the motherboard might be fried it beeped a couple of times on first starrtup and now the fans come on but it doesnt sound like its doing anything ive tried removing it several times reset bios once with it off,unplugged everything on it except power and moniter,could a faulty processor do this sort of thing or is it a motherboard issue i mounted motherboard on metal studs that came with the case,some of the mount points on the motherboard had solder on them coould this have fried it and/or the processor I think i might try another motherboard but do u think if it did fry before it took the processor with it,need to know what i should buy also whats good and whats not

#4 peterpete

peterpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

i also forgot the thermal paste but the heatsink was tight on the processor and the fans were working right could this have hurt it

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:47 PM

Check your beeps against this list. BIOS beep & POST codes
You may have damaged your computer. The thermal paste is crucial to the cooling of the processor.
Did the case come in contact with the MB while power was plugged in?

#6 peterpete

peterpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

i screwed the motherboard in to the case but some of the holes in the motherboard had solder on them kinda worried me it was a soldered hole my mb manual says it takes ddr sd ram i bought ram and it says ddr on it 266mhz the right kind but i nticed sd ram has two notches at the bottm of it and ddr only has one,could it be that i need sd ram?It beeped the first time i started it but now when i try it doesnt do anything i bought my processor used suppose to work fine

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Also DDR is 184 pin and SDram is 168 pin.

#8 peterpete

peterpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

ok i installed an agp video card nothing happened again nothing on the screen,the mainboard does not beep anymore unless the memory is removed and the beeps match the beep code for missing or wrong memory installed.I think im down to either a bad cpu or a bad motherboard dont know which i should try next any help would be greatful

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Did you read the manual that came with the mobo as to how to install it and where to place the connectors? Holes that had visable solder do not sound like the correct place to put metal screws if metal screws were to be used anywhere.

It sounds like you need some assistance from someone experienced in assembling computers. You may have fried the mobo,the RAM and the processor as well as the power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users