to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum
My name is Oh My!
and I am here to help you!
I am very glad you were hesitant to allow any potential for cross contamination via your USB device. Good call! We have a way to deal with that and I will provide those instructions below.
First, let's go over some general information then we will get right to it.
- First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met.
- Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.
- Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps are a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.
- Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me about it.
- When you post your reply, do not use the button but use the button instead.
- In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.
- If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.
- When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.
- I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.
===================================================Helping me Help You
Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me
. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.
- If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate you letting me know.
- If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
- If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and I will guide you.
- Explain as best you can what happens with your computer, i.e. it beeps three times, the the black screen starts then goes blank, etc
- Please tell me if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
- If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
- Upon completing the steps below I will review your topic an do my best to resolve your issues.
- If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
===================================================Panda USB Vaccine
--------------------From a clean computer
, please download and use Panda USB Vaccine
Alternate download link 1
Alternate download link 2
Note: Computer Vaccination will prevent any AutoRun file from running, regardless of whether the removable device is infected or not. USB Vaccination disables the autorun file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced and creates an AUTORUN_.INF as protection against malicious code. The Panda Resarch Blog advises that once USB drives have been vaccinated, they cannot be reversed except with a format. If you do this, be sure to back up your data files first or they will be lost during the formatting process.
- Double-click on USBVaccineSetup.exe to install the program to C:\Program Files\Panda USB Vaccine.
- Read and accept the license agreement, then click Next.
- When setup completes, make sure "Launch Panda USB Vaccine" is checked and click Finish to open the program.
- Click the Vaccinate computer button. It should now show a green checkmark and confirm Computer vaccinated.
- Hold down the Shift key and insert your USB flash drive.
- When the name of the drive appears in the dialog box, click the button to Vaccinate USB drive(s).
- Exit the program when done
===================================================Create DDS.txt and Attach.txtI need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan
You may have to disable
- From a clean computer download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your USB device.
- Remove the USB device from your clean computer and insert it into your infected computer
- Double click on the icon, allow it to run.
- A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
- Notepad will open with the results.
- Please copy and paste the contents of both results in your reply.
- Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control HERE
===================================================Create GMER log
As you consider the below, if you are able to run GMER please follow the download and run instructions provided above (clean computer.....)I also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner
. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.
Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:
Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice
Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:
How to create a GMER log
Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste
the information rather than send an attachment.
- GMER log