Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive not listed option in Window 7 recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ozhawk

ozhawk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

My wife's nephew picked up a virus that Avast had flagged as newgeneration.com/x/x and oldschoolzz.com/x/. I have ran Malwarebytes, SuperAnti Spyware, and quarantined trojans that were found several times (also tried it in safe mode). They keep coming back so I was going to do a system recovery with the discs that I had burned when she first got her computer.

The problem is that when I get to the screen to select the dvd drive nothing is populating that box to select. At this point I am stuck. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

This is an Asus computer running Windows 7.

Many Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

OK as it is an ASUS, When you turn it on have you tried selecting F8?

Don't try from within Windows

Rereading I see that you could be trying from Windows or The P.O.S.T. screen that comes up when you turn on the computer.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ozhawk

ozhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

I was using the steps listed here after using F8.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/access-more-troubleshooting-tools-with-windows-7-system-recovery-options/4537

There is a box that comes up if you are using cds/dvds to do the recovery so that you can select the drive where the system image is located, but there are no drives listed there.

Thank You
Orlando

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

If you made system recovery DVDs then you need to boot off of the first disk.

With an Asus motherboard F8 is usually the boot device manager. If you wait to long to press F8 then you get the windows F8 options. That is what the link you posted is for. Your recovery DVDs are not an image like the windows recovery options are expecting.

You need to start pressing F8 as soon as you get video on the screen from a power off. Have disk one in the dvd drive too.
Follow the onscreen instructions. Everything will be lost.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 ozhawk

ozhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

Many Thanks for hanging in there with me on this. For some reason I got an error code -3 when trying to do the recovery. But, I did learn something new. Unsure if it is the disk or if it is possibly a side effect of the malware on this system.

Thanks Again
Orlando

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users