Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Machine Freezing Randomly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scruffbag

scruffbag

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

I see that there are already a number of posts regarding freeze ups on machines using Windows 7 as an operating system. I'm looking for some help for my son's machine which is experiencing exactly as the title says, Random Freezes.

The machine is an HP P6502UK. He has run the following without success.

Seatools both short and long tests - passed

Memtest86+ ran for 12 hours - no issues

Kaspersky recovery disc 10 - no issues

WD hard drive tools - passed

Malwarebytes - no malware

Clean software and hardware boot

Ccleaner

Microsoft security essentials - initially nothing, on second scan trojan win32 giframe a, now removed

Page file is managed by the system.

I think we have got to the stage where we can't see the woods for the trees and a fresh mind would be helpful, even going back to square one if needs be.

Any help and hand holding would be appreciated.

Ah, it seems that this machine belongs to a fried of my son's and he thinks someone may have been messing with the registry!! Even more hand holding would be even more appreciated!!

Thanks
Derek Smith

Edited by scruffbag, 08 July 2012 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for that Cryptodan, but having trouble running Speccy.

It seems to get stuck with the circular icon in bottom left corner of Speccy window continually running but going no further. "Publish Snapshot" is greyed out but all the visible info categories have information returned.

Speccy ran OK in a different machine.

Any further ideas? Oh yes, tried in safe mode but it wouldn't run at all.

Thanks

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Can you run dxdiag from Start > Search Bar > dxdiag

Save the dump as a txt file and upload it here. If its to big then use http://www.pastebin.com then post that link

#5 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Looks like all has gone pear shaped! Can no longer boot into windows or safe mode!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

I draw absolutely no hits...using Google...for such system, other than your post. Please double-check the model.

<<...and he thinks someone may have been messing with the registry!!>>

Can you be more specific?

Appears that MSE (and other AV programs) handles the mentioned malware, http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Trojan%3AWin32%2FGiframe.A .

Does the owner have recovery/restore-to-factory-default disks?

FWIW: Freezes can be classic signs of system overheating.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 July 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#7 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Sorry Hamluis, I had a senior moment with the model number, it's HP P6205uk

Well, Cryptodan and Hamluis, it seems that we've been able to restore the system via the HP restore utility on the HP boot up screen (although I think this just uses the Microsoft System Restore). Despite the fact that the system restore reported as "failed", it then booted into windows where system restore report a successful restore! It quickly froze, but then booted into safe mode, even getting to the point where the option was there to create restore discs; unfortunately we need some new dics, since we are out of them! Debatable whether the machine will get through that process without freezing again.

Although we don't know for sure, it's unlikely that the owner has recovery discs. There is a recovery partition on the hard drive but at the moment that is likely to be of little help.

With regards to the registry, my son went into "regedit" to alter a registry entry to ensure that the page file purged itself on shutdown, (a shot in the dark I think) but when the registry tree opened it was at a folder other than "Computer". He had already discovered prior to this that the page file was set at only 16MB. So it would seem someone has already had a go at something.

He is thinking now, before doing anything else, to discuss options and possible outcomes with the friend who owns the machine.

The PSU tests OK, a substitute PSU makes no difference; chkdsk/r has been run

My son is beginning to think that despite the tests it may be the hard drive failing, he thinks it is making odd noises. The MB capacitors look OK, RAM was recently replaced and increased by the owner because he thought it may solve the freezing problem, it has also been reseated.

I think, If possible, the first thing to do would be to try to make a set of recovery disks. Apparently backup has been done by the owner to a Windows Image Backup folder on an external hard drive.

Any further comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
Derek

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

System support webpage: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4072352 .

You can contact HP for reocvery disks. I would see about that...before anything else.

Then...I would worry about what could be wrong with that system.

Louis

#9 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for all your help but now my son's friend has decided to contact HP regarding the problems he is having.

Derek Smith

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

:thumbsup: , let us know what HP has to say...it will help us and others.

Louis

#11 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

If I hear anything I'll certainly post it.

Derek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users