Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Homepage Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

Hey Everyone. For My Website, I'm Going To Be Getting A .net Domain Name Soon, And I Want My New Homepage To Be A Lot Better Than The One I Made Before. So I Was Wondering What Tips Are There To Making A Good Homepage?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

What do you mean by better? More stylish, better design, faster loading, more reliable, more professional-looking, cross-browser compatability, other?

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:45 PM

In general, a webpage ought to be:
  • Asthetically pleasing
  • compatible with multiple browsers
  • quick loading
  • easy to navigate
  • possessing a universal or root menu on all pages
You'll also need to determine what general layout your website will take. Will it be a linear "Slideshow" type design where users are intended to view pages in a particular order? Or will there be no particular page order?

You should consider carefully the color scheme for your site. Avoid harsh colors like red, orange and yellow for text and/or background. Make sure that your text color is in good contrast with your background (light blue on purple= bad; light blue on black=ok).

Avoid too many bells and whistles (javascript effects, flashy .gif images, the dreaded <blink> tag, etc.) http://www.darthoz.com/ is a good (bad?) example of what not to do. Not only do they make your site look amateurish and cheesy, they slow down loading times for users.

Unless you absolutely have to, do not use frames. Almost every effect that can be provided by using frames can be duplicated by using tables. Frames and nuclear weapons are very similar: useful in certain situations, but should be used very sparingly!

Ensure that your HTML, XHTML, XML or whatever language you use is correct and debugged before launching. You can use the W3C's free validator to check most web-based languages (http://validator.w3.org/).

Use good META tags to help search engines catalogue your site (Advanced Meta Tag Generator)

Provide a method for users to quickly and easily contact you, at the very least you should include your e-mail near the bottom of each page with the copyright notice.

Hope this helps a bit! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users