Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant open pdf files????

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Judge Mental

Judge Mental

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi all, a weird problem keeps occurring on my desktop pc. I clik a link to open a pdf and it starts to load, then after about 10 seconds a message comes--- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.

Runtime error

. The page seems to lock things up and I struggle to even close it all down sometimes, and it asks to send error report.
Any one have any ideas please??????
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.......If you can fake that, you got it made!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

#3 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Thankyou, Ill give it a try, Cheers.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.......If you can fake that, you got it made!

#4 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

No joy, I cliked to set Foxit as the default but its still trying to open with microsoft reader, and now my pc is really geting screwed up.Everything is 10 times slower. I tried to uninstall that Foxit and I cant, when I get to "uninstall progs" no list of programes appears like it used to.????????????????????

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Try your earliest restore point.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

#6 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Tonight I was able to open "add or remove programe" page, and ,unlike yesterday, the list of progs did appear. I uninstalled the foxit and also adobe reader. My pc is now working better again , but I think I may still need some thing to open the pdfs??? Not sure where to go from here as I dont want to screw my pc again????

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

The Foxit reader suggestion was a decent one. The install options are clear...I suggest not electing any of the toolbars offerred as options.

Louis

#8 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hi, I did make sure to not add the toolbar, but every time I try to open a pdf my pc does not seem to use the foxit, keep geting the same message about runtime error, and the system gets locked up??????????????
Thanks for the replys.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

It sounds like there is an issue with Visual C++ instead of being a reader issue.

Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) to see if that resolves the issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 July 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#10 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi, I just tried that and its still the same problem. I have though found a temporary solution. Instead of opening the pdf, I save it to my docs, then, when I R clik on it, it gives me a choice of what to open with. I chose adobe and its there ,yippee. Thanks for help.

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

Check this

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/microsoft-visual-c-runtime-library-error-opening/e54c0106-dda4-4105-8030-229335750f2d?page=4&tm=1341971477420

Some users have disabled AVG toolbar to make it work

#12 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Check this

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/microsoft-visual-c-runtime-library-error-opening/e54c0106-dda4-4105-8030-229335750f2d?page=4&tm=1341971477420

Some users have disabled AVG toolbar to make it work

First prize to you sir, disabling the avg toolbar was the correct answer to my problem. Still dont know how it happened, ive allways been able to open the pdfs in the past, it just stopped working last week and I hadnt altered anything in any way.
Thanks again to all helpers in this problem.
JM. Plymouth UK

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Nice find, narenxp :).

Louis

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts