Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS G60Vx -- getting too hot and shutting down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Junebugsin

Junebugsin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have tried many things, among which was uninstalling software, managing my startups, using CCleaner, but still my computer gets too hot and then shuts down. I need to find out what is causing this problem so that I can fix it, but I'm lost at this point.

I have an ASUS G60Vx notebook with Intel Core2 Duo CPU P7450 @2.13Ghz, 4GB memory, 64-bit operating system running Windows7 Home Premium.

If you need me to get any more information for you, please give me step-by-step instructions and please only give me one action to do at a time, as I'm severely ADD and will lose track of what I'm doing. :blink:

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hi,

Have you tried blowing compressed air through the vents near your fan. You may be surprised how much dust comes out of your laptop. Remember to always run a laptop on something hard so that it can breathe. A laptop that is running on a soft surface can cause it to overheat.

Hope this helps

#3 WarTech

WarTech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

The 1st thing I do with an overheating PC is check the fans and heatsinks and the general condition inside the case.
Then replace faulty fans / cracked heatsinks etc, remove caked on dust / insects etc, unblock air vents.
(Chances are it's a dust problem)
This usually isn't so easy with a notebook - if you're not confident disassembling your ASUS: take it to a professional.

A freebie utility called coretemp from alcpu.com will tell you the the temperature of the cpu cores, but that's probably not much help to you.

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

ill second wartechs advice.. if you are not certain on how to do it, take it to a pro.

a fan cleanup would probably be a 1/2 hour job.

hth!

TFN

#5 Junebugsin

Junebugsin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks all, I'll give it a try.

J