Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Live Security Platinum from Virtual XP...??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jklsr55

Jklsr55

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

My wife does MT work online. Because the company she uses software is so antiquated she has to use XP. She has a new Windows 7 laptop and has virtual XP installed. This Live Security Platinum crap showed up this morning on the XP side of her computer. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this virus in virtual xp mode? The virus was not allowing her to get online at all. However, I uninstalled it and when I restarted the computer it allowed me online and to run Malewarebytes. I am very skeptical that this solved the problem. Help anyone??

Jeff
Great Falls, Montana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Good evening. :)

The virus was not allowing her to get online at all.

Was this affecting both the Host computer, running Windows 7, and the virtual machine running XP, or just the virtual machine?

However, I uninstalled it...

You uninstalled Microsoft's Virtual PC software or simply deleted the XP virtual machine that had been created using Virtual PC? I use VirtualBox which may operate in a slightly different way to Virtual PC.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#3 Jklsr55

Jklsr55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

I only see the virus on the virtual xp side. The windows 7 side seems unaffected. How can I open virtual xp in safe mode to fix this? Or would restoring work?

#4 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Good evening. :)

I'd go with a fresh start myself. Pleases bear in mind that I don't use your particular VM software, so I am unable to say that this particular method works - linky.

#5 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

As this issue appears to have been resolved, this thread is now closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users