Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vmware Player Free

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:20 AM

well i don't see a thread about this so i'll start one. i've posted these screenshots on 2 other message boards tonight so why not here also!!! i've been playing with this about 2 months now. you can run several different linux distros inside of windows. this is another great way to explore linux without the anxiety of installing it. i think this is even better than running a live cd. i don't know how to describe it very well so i'll just copy the words and let you read about it from the website. be sure to read the documentation for installing and configuring.
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Start experiencing the benefits of virtual machines

1. Download VMware Player.
2. Try the pre-built Browser Appliance virtual machine, configured for secure internet browsing.
3. Visit Virtual Appliances at VMTN to download other free, pre-configured virtual machines from industry-leading ISV partners, open source partners and the VMware community.

basically;
1. get the player. it's FREE.
2. get the "browser-appliance" it is the ubuntu distro virtual machine.
3. after you explore ubuntu awhile you can try other distros.

here's some of the virtual machines i've been running on my windows xp desktop;

browser-appliance/ubuntu
vm35rg.th.jpg

debian
vmdebian9rk.th.jpg

dsl
vmdsl18jan067iz.th.jpg

fedora
vmfedora2qd.th.jpg

openbsd
vmopenbsd9ly.th.jpg

suse
vmsuse1or.th.jpg

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 05:51 PM.
Moved from Linux & Unix

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:05 AM

This sounds just up my street... Just down loading now. :thumbsup:

:flowers:
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

i hope it works ok for you el_tel. i'm pretty new with this so i don't know what problems may develope but it's been working great for me. one thing i did notice is some new background services that start up with windows after installing vmware player. i haven't had a prob with these so i don't pay them any attention. if necessary i think you can set these to manual or just turn them off in your services console without harming the vmplayer program. i reckon they are necessary to run the virtual machine. but when you are not running a vm i think you can turn them off. check for documentation on this. they do have a great pdf manual about running these virtual machines, (vm).

i'm having a good time exploring some of these linux distros without leaving or shutting down my precious windoze XP, loooool. :thumbsup:

some new auto start programs in task mgr.
Posted Image

my services console
Posted Image

good luck and enjoy linux
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 Rexxy

Rexxy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

vmplayer may be a good intro to using vmware, but just in case anyone wants to experience vmware with the ability to run any virtual o/s, VMware now give free licenses out with their VMware Server software...

may be larger than vmplayer, but then it also allows so much more....
My laptop run XP Pro as its normal o/s
But I also have the following Virtual O/S clients installed....
1. Windows 2003 standard edition
2. Redhat Enterprise 3 (RHEL3)
3. Windows XP Pro

why am i running XP Pro as a virtual on an Laptopn already running XP ?? So I can ensure I never ever get Viruses, Trojans and other nasty's corrupting my laptop......

If they do ever hit my Virtual XP etc, i just blow it away and recreate it again, and never have to worry about my Base O/S.....

it also gives me the aility to try out things, such as registry changes and install stuff to test it out without ever hurting my base o/s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users