Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hello,

I have recently acquired a new laptop. The at the store partitioned the drive as shown in the picture below. Essentially, all programs, go in C:\ and all the data will go in D:\. Fair enough.

What I'm curious to know about is the first 25 GB labeled "primary partition". It doesn't seem to be doing anything. It seems like quite to give 25 GB space on a drive that will do nothing. Can I delete this partition safely without affecting how my computer works? I am planning to add Linux later on.

Attached File  Partition.PNG   128.08KB   4 downloads

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 08 July 2012 - 03:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

What does your manual say?

Is the 25GB partition reflected in My Computer?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

What does your manual say?

Is the 25GB partition reflected in My Computer?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

The 25GB partition isn't reflected in my computer. The computer is an Asus, U41S.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Since the 25GB is a hidden partition (not intended to be reflected in My Computer), my guess is that it's the partition that is intended to be accessed to restore your system to factory defaults. Leave it alone :), it's the mechanism installed by the system manufacturer in lieu of giving you a disk from which you could reinstall Win 7.

Louis

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091027070904500&board_id=20&model=Eee+PC+1005HAB&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Edited by hamluis, 08 July 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#5 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Since the 25GB is a hidden partition (not intended to be reflected in My Computer), my guess is that it's the partition that is intended to be accessed to restore your system to factory defaults. Leave it alone :), it's the mechanism installed by the system manufacturer in lieu of giving you a disk from which you could reinstall Win 7.

Louis

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091027070904500&board_id=20&model=Eee+PC+1005HAB&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

OK thanks. The laptop (actually laptops, as they'll be used for work) came with a USB drive actually to Re-install Win7 from, though. If I were to re-install windows it would wipe the hard drive clean, and remove all partitions, correct?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

I can't answer that...I'm not familiar with how your laptop is set up...but that info should be available at the website of the manufactureer.

Louis

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Installing Windows (new install or reinstall) will not effect partition structure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users