Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't open; safe mode won't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue99

darkblue99

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

I'm tearing my hair out with this one. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason that I can see, Windows 7 won't load at all. Everything was working fine until today.

When Windows looks like it is starting, the "Windows is loading files..." message comes up. It then goes into Startup Repair, which either can't detect problem or "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically". I have tried pressing F8 for the safe mode menu, but none of the options there work either as selecting any of them just ends up in Startup Repair again. Sadly I have no system restore point or system image to reload. I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic, which found no problems. I know that reloading Windows is almost certain to fix this problem, but I have a handful of files that I really, really don't want to lose by doing this. Is there any way that I can save my files?? :wacko:

Any advice would be much appreciated. :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

I would think that a check of the hard drive itself would be in order...as for saving files, you can remove the hard drive and attach it to a different system as a secondary drive...and then move data files (not programs) to another partition/drive or removeable media.

Louis

#3 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

I managed to reload Windows, but without having done anything else, I now keep getting blue screen error messages. How can I tell if the hard drive is needing to be replaced?

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-blue-screen-crash-dump-minidump-files/a4770b76-c361-4ad5-af09-b8daf3f78705

Uninstall your McAfee program...then either reinstall it or replace it with something like Microsoft Security Essentials.

<<How can I tell if the hard drive is needing to be replaced?>>

You can go to the respective website of the hard drive manufacturer...download the appropriate diagnostic situated there...follow directions for using...run the long/extended test of the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users