Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Question/Problem

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 addygard

addygard

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

I know this question/problem has been posted before, and I've read as much as I can understand about it (which isn't very much) until my eyes are rolling back in my head. I'm a nearly 60-year old lady, and to say that all computer-speak is Greek to me is an understatement of epic proportion. I have spent hours and hours and HOURS, not just today, but in the recent past, to get Malwarebytes to scan my computer. I have installed it and uninstalled it no less than 6 times and it still won't do a quick scan in under 20 minutes, which is to say it gets to 20+ minutes and it has still only scanned +/- 45,000 "objects", so I try to abort the scan and it does the "Not Responding" thing until I have to end it using the Task Manager.

Each time I installed it, I downloaded it directly from the internet, except the last time I saved it to a folder and installed it from the folder. I know it can't be working properly because I have read in some of the other posts here and on the Malwarebytes forum where other users' quick scans were in the 6 minute range scanning 200,000 "objects" give or take.

In my case, it starts off scanning quickly for about 3 minutes, then when it reaches HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\etc, etc, etc (don't know exactly the rest of it) it slows down to an excruciatingly slow pace. And when I went through this same thing several months ago, the quick scan took hours without even getting half way through, and I was so tired of messing with it, I just gave up. I'm sorry to say the answers given to the other users who had the slow scan problem like mine, well, I couldn't really follow them because they sounded so complicated and I just felt too overwhelmed. I need the very dumbed-down version, 1st grade level.

I was running McAfee antivirus (came with my AT&T service), but just today uninstalled it and installed Avast (free). My computer is 6 years old, an eMachines with Windows XP Home. Whatever else I can tell you, please don't hesitate to ask. Sorry this post is so long and I hope it's in the right place. I just really would appreciate it so much if any of you incredible computer wizards would be able to help an old lady here get fixed up with her computer so she can be safe online. Thanks so very much in advance.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

To answer your question:

It depends on the computer hardware and software installed.

The hardware is different from one computer to the next.

The speed of the processor, the amount of RAM, and the size of the hard drive can make the task longer or shorter.

The software installed can slow things down as well.

If you have several items running in the back ground, and not clearing your temp files can cause slow downs.

Now add possible ad-ware and/or virus programs (not saying your PC is infected or not) and this can also cause slow downs as well.

So make it simple some computers will finish faster than others depending what computer the user may have.

My advice do a complete scan and wait till it stops regardless of the time it takes.

While it is scanning do something else.
Posted Image

#3 addygard

addygard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Thank you for your reply with information, that limited as my knowledge is, I do know most of that.

Most everything on my computer is original except the motherboard which was repaired almost a year ago. On the front of my desktop tower there is a label which says 512 MB of RAM at 333MHz and 3000+ AMD Anthlon XP Processor. I don't really understand what any of that means. When I go to the Disk Defragmenter, it shows "capacity" of 153 GB and "free space" of 93.03 GB and "% of free space" of 61%, if any of this is helpful. I have minimal software on it as I don't use it for much more than browsing or word processing, so I don't have a lot of stuff loading it up. And I'm very particular about the sites I visit and rarely click a link in an email unless it's from someone I know well, though even then I may just copy/paste. And I almost compulsively delete temp internet files, as well as do a disk clean-up before I shut it down. I work full-time, so I don't even turn it on until almost 7 pm.

I have 3 user accounts on my computer: 2 limited access (me and my son) and 1 administrator (me, password protected). We have a an old router (Belkins) for a wireless connection to his video game systems and my daughter's laptop. He has no computer of his own, and because the computer is in my room and our work schedules are opposite (he works nights), he RARELY uses the computer, which also means he is NOT computer savvy either.

This morning I ran a quick scan of Malwarebytes on my limited access account, nothing open or running in the background. It took 13 minutes to scan the C: drive and 188,888+/- items; it found 9 threats, which showed up at almost the very end of the scan. At some point during the middle of the scan, instead of showing the "objects" being scanned, like C:\whatever, it just showed the words "scanning other objects." In the results screen, 8 of the threats weren't checked, but the 9th was and it was Trojan.MFW.Gen. I checked them all and deleted them all. I didn't run another scan there.

Next, I logged out and signed on to my administrator account and started a quick scan, which is the account I tried to do the scans from in my original post, but the same thing happened as what I originally posted about...it slowed down to an excruciating pace at 44226 objects scanned in 16 minutes. Again when I tried to abort it took several tries before I succeeded. During the scan it startetd off quickly scanning the C:\ drive. Then suddenly at the 3 or 4 minute mark, the objects being scanned went blank for several seconds and for a brief moment, the same HKCU\whatever object appeared though it flashed by so quickly I couldn't read it all. After that it started scanning C:\ objects again but at a snail's pace. I have the scan log, but I doubt it will tell you anything because nothing was detected.

Any assistance or suggestions would be most helpful and greatly appreciated. And thank you for your patience.

#4 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

512 MB of RAM at 333MHz - For the most computers I have worked on - to run XP effectively you need 1GB of Ram. If not with todays programs and running 512 MB of ram the PC goes slowly.

3000+ AMD Anthlon XP Processor - when this PC was new this processor was fast but by today's processors are even faster then this one. Meaning this processor is slower then current ones out now

"capacity" of 153 GB and "free space" of 93.03 GB and "% of free space" of 61% - Where the scan of malwarebytes would not take as long on this hard drive, it is the processor and Ram in your machine that slows this PC down.

You ask what is a processor, ram, and hard drive? - to make it easy I will come pair a PC to a car

Processor is like your car engine - an 8 cylinder engine is faster than a 4 cylinder engine - thus a new processor works faster.

RAM is like an interstate highway or a large major road - you can move traffic in an 8 lane highway than in a 2 lane country road - thus more ram allows programs/files move faster when you open or click on them or scan them.

Hard Drive is like storage space in you car - you can load more items in a larger truck than you could in a small compact car - the larger the hard drive the more files you can store thus meaning more time to scan.

Edited by herg62123, 09 July 2012 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:08 AM

I was running McAfee antivirus (came with my AT&T service), but just today uninstalled it and installed Avast

Hi -
Did you use the McAfee removal tool, or did you just delete the program from Add/Remove in Control Panel ??
Have you had any help with changing from McAfee to avast! Antivirus, or would you like us to check it was removed ??

I hope you do not mind me using MBAM as the "short version" of Malwarebytes Anti-malware tool.
I have just done a Quick Scan while reading this post (with todays update), and my normal shortened XP results are =>>

Database version: v2012.07.09.14
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Objects scanned: 369231
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 2 second(s)
Scan type: Quick scan

Can you please post your similar results from the last scan - Open MBAM progran > Click Logs at the top, and your records of scans are there.
While the program is open (not running) click on Settings > Scanner Settings At this point please make sure the box at the bottom that says > >
>"Enable advanced heuristics engine" is Unticked.

Do you update the program prior to each scan, and have you ever had any error messages with the scans ??
Do you know how to run the Disk Cleanup program that is also located in System Tools with the Defrag program ??

As you have removed several "infections" it is essential that you run a Quick scan again to see if these are removed now.

Please run the scan on the Administrator account only, and not on any of the other accounts just yet.

"scanning other objects" is a normal part of the process at the end of a normal quick or full scan

When you Un / Re-install MBAM, do you use the Full Removal Tool required to clean out the program ??

After being on their forum for almost 5 years I should be able to help you solve this problem very quickly, if you would like the help -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 10 July 2012 - 05:15 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether it stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.
-- If the screensaver, hibernation or Sleep Mode are not turned off before scanning, those features can sometimes have odd effects when attempting to resume normal mode.

Another option is to perform your scan in safe mode".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hello -
With the recent developments to Malwarebytes, these solutions may help solve several problems with running the program.
The use of Safe Mode scans with Malwarebytes is not always ideal, as the files required to be scanned are not usually fully loaded.

Use Malwarebytes Chameleon to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware when Malwarebytes Anti-Malware won't run due to problems or infection:

Some infections prevent Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from being able to run normally. To get around this, Malwarebytes Chameleon was created.
In order for this to work, you must already have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.60 or later already installed on your infected PC.

1. Click on START>All Programs>Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware>Tools>Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Chameleon
2. Once the Help file opens, click on each Test Now button until you see a black DOS/command prompt window that remains open and says MBAM-chameleon ver. 0.1 at the top
Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you may see a User Account Control prompt. If so, click Yes.
3. Press any key to continue as it says in the window
4. Malwarebytes Chameleon will proceed to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, so ensure that you are connected to the internet if possible
5. Once the update completes and it says your database is updated, click on OK
6. Malwarebytes Chameleon will then terminate any threats running in memory, which may take a while, so please be patient
7. Upon completion, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will open automatically and perform a Quick scan
8. Once the scan is complete, click on Show Results and remove any threats that are found by clicking Remove Selected
9. If prompted to restart your computer to complete the removal process, click Yes
10. After your computer restarts, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform one last Quick scan to verify that there are no remaining threats

Next follow the 3 Steps listed in Section L of the Malwarebytes FAQ area

I hope this basic information will help -

Thank You -

#8 addygard

addygard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi Noknojon,

Thanks so very much for your help. Last night I was trying to do what you said in your first post and just gave up on the scan because it was taking too long. But I wanted to post a reply below to both of your posts, answering most of your questions (my answers follow in italics):

Did you use the McAfee removal tool, or did you just delete the program from Add/Remove in Control Panel ??

I used Add/Remove in Control Panel.

Have you had any help with changing from McAfee to avast! Antivirus, or would you like us to check it was removed ??

No one helped me make the change from McAfee to avast, and yes, how can I check if it was completely removed?

When you Un / Re-install MBAM, do you use the Full Removal Tool required to clean out the program ??

At first I had only used the Add/Remove on Control Panel. But when I read your post, I went back into All Programs and did the Uninstall and took it all out and reinstalled it. Hope that was right.

Do you know how to run the Disk Cleanup program that is also located in System Tools with the Defrag program ??

I have Disk Cleanup on my Start menu, but when I go into my System Tools, there are Disk Cleanup, Disk Cleanup 1, Disk Cleanup 2, Disk Cleanup 3, Disk Cleanup 4. What’s up with that?? Also, I installed CCleaner and have used that.

Okay, so those are my answers to the questions that I probably still need help with because your most recent post about MBAM Chameleon worked!!! It took two tries, but it worked and there were no threats at all and it completed the quick scan of my computer on the admin account in under 15 minutes...not nearly as fast as yours, but I think it's okay, right?

I haven't done the steps in Section L just yet because I want to print the instructions and don't have a printer. But when my daughter gets home tomorrow I will have her print them out for me.

Thank you so very much for your assistance! I greatly appreciate it!

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

To remove McAfee software completely from your PC, first use Window's built-in system to uninstall McAfee software (Add / Remove).
Next, download the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) from the McAfee site:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Next to fully remove your version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware, follow these procedures as outlined below.
•Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe to fully remove traces of Malwarebytes
•It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
•After the computer restarts, Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here
- Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is installed.
Now set it for a Quick scan only and click Scan -

This should have fully uninstalled McAfee and installed a fresh copy of Malwarebytes.

Hope This Helps -

Edited by noknojon, 11 July 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Note: After running mbam-clean.exe...if using the Pro version of MBAM, you will need to reactivate the program using the license key you were sent by email and setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi -
As an extra to the Disk Cleanup question, you could try this Run command :

Go Start > RUN > In the Run box, copy / paste or type > cleanmgr /sagerun:1

This will start a run of the Disk Cleanup function without you having to sort out any of the options offered, as I have never seen it set like that.
Note that this will take a while to run, as it seems that you never used this tool, and a prior operator mat have added extras for external drives.

It will clean out a lot of un-needed items like Temp files, empty the recycle bin, ActiveX downloads, and much more.
You should then follow up with a run of the Defrag Tool from System Tools -

Thank You -

#12 addygard

addygard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Note: After running mbam-clean.exe...if using the Pro version of MBAM, you will need to reactivate the program using the license key you were sent by email and setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

Thanks for your help. I actually have the free version of MBAM.

To remove McAfee software completely from your PC, first use Window's built-in system to uninstall McAfee software (Add / Remove).
Next, download the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) from the McAfee site:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Next to fully remove your version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware, follow these procedures as outlined below.
•Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe to fully remove traces of Malwarebytes
•It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
•After the computer restarts, Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here
- Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is installed.
Now set it for a Quick scan only and click Scan -

This should have fully uninstalled McAfee and installed a fresh copy of Malwarebytes.

Hope This Helps -

Hi,

Okay, follow the directions to uninstall McAfee completely, as well as uninstall / reinstall MBAM.

But what about avast! Antivirus, which I previously installed after removing McAfee the first time?
Do I need to uninstall / reinstall it too? If so, before or after MBAM?

I won't do anything yet until I hear back.

Thank you so much. Your help is most appreciated.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

If avast is working properly, there is no need to remove and reinstall. I have avast with MBAM on one of my machines and they work fine together. MBAM just released a new version (v1.62.0.1300) yesterday and it installed over the existing one without any problems.

BTW, there was an avast program version update (v7.0.1456) the other day so be sure to update.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi -
Great going so far -
Now that you have a Fresh copy of MBAM, please open the progran and click on the Update Tab at the top of the bar and click the "Check for Updates" -

Once the program is updated, click on the Scanner Tab and only select, Perform Quick Scan -
Please tell us how this scan finishes, and please let it finish, even if it takes half an hour or so -

Thank You -

#15 addygard

addygard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

If avast is working properly, there is no need to remove and reinstall. I have avast with MBAM on one of my machines and they work fine together. MBAM just released a new version (v1.62.0.1300) yesterday and it installed over the existing one without any problems.

BTW, there was an avast program version update (v7.0.1456) the other day so be sure to update.

Got that update today, thanks so much!

Hi -
Great going so far -
Now that you have a Fresh copy of MBAM, please open the progran and click on the Update Tab at the top of the bar and click the "Check for Updates" -

Once the program is updated, click on the Scanner Tab and only select, Perform Quick Scan -
Please tell us how this scan finishes, and please let it finish, even if it takes half an hour or so -

Thank You -

I hope to do the scan tomorrow, or if not tomorrow, definitely this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Thank you once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users