Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With A "that Domain Name Could Not Be Found....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jizzard19

jizzard19

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

Please check the damain name and try again" error message while using Netscape 8.0. The message disables all functions until I click it, then click it when it pops up the second time, and that web page continues to cycle. I've had the problem most frequently with yahoo mail and news sites like cnn, msnbc, espn and cbssportsline. It isn't an issue with other browsers (earlier versions of Netscape, Mozilla, and IE), but unfortunately that's the browser that runs best on my computer.

Thanks,
jri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:41 AM

Do you have it set to accept cookies?
Does your computer meet its minimum requirements?
What java ap are you using?

You may have to uninstall it and then reinstall it.

#3 jizzard19

jizzard19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:53 PM

Do you have it set to accept cookies?
- yes
Does your computer meet its minimum requirements?
- yes
What java ap are you using?
- not sure. I think it is Java 2 Runtime Environmen, SE v1.4.1_02

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

Try downloading the java ap from Sun Microsystems. In many cases it works better than Microsoft's.

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

#5 jizzard19

jizzard19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

Thanks. I have installed it, but the problem is not fixed. I do feel like it is an issue with some sort of missing application because the pages when loaded are usually missing some banner advertisement. For instance, the Vonage ad on my yahoo mail page is X'ed out.

Were you suggestioning that I uninstall and reinstall Netscape?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:02 PM

Clean the temp files.
From what you said it sounds like you have a popup blocker working and you may have disabled something required in Netscape using Adaware, Spybot or some other anti-adware ap or have it set to block them.

I would try reloading Netscape or even better, Firefox which is another Mozilla based browser.

Look through any anti-spyware aps that are running in realtime and see what they're blocking. Then you have to dcide whether or not you want specific things you see there blocked. Some aps will not work properly if you disable the banner ads they shoot at you - I don't know if Netscape, or the version of Netscape you have is one. I personally use Firefox for everything except Windows Updates and on line malware scans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users