Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open .exe (unvalid win32 application)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt14

Kurt14

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think i am infected of some sort of virus.. I can no longer open .exe files (unvalid win32 application) and when I want to download .exe files in Google Chrome, it says 'Insufficient permission..' I use Windows XP Service pack 2, please, I need your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have to add that when clicking on .exe files, the program 'Anti Trojan Elite' says it has found a trojan in my system. Hope it helps.

#3 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Also, I do have MBAM and Avast, plus Norton.

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi Kurt14,

My name is Jason and I'll be helping you with your computer problems. You can call me by my screename jntkwx or Jason is fine.

Some things to remember while we are working together.

• Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
  • Please do not attach logs or put logs in code boxes (unless explicitly asked to)
  • Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
  • Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can also help.
  • Do not run anything while running a fix.
  • If you don't understand a step, please ask for clarification before continuing with any future steps.

Click on the Watch Topic button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.

Note to others: The instructions here are intended for the person who began this topic. If you need help, please create your own topic in the appropriate forum.

Is this the same computer you were being helped with here? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458623.html
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yes, the same computer. I forgot to say that I cannot open .exe files that's why I couldn't run scan with ESET..

Can you just help me with this? Please.

#6 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Kurt14,

Yes, I can help you. :)

Please download ExeFix.scr by Farbar and save it to a flashdrive or on the root of the system drive (usually C:).
  • Important: Boot your computer into the account that has trouble running exe files.
  • Run the tool.
  • The tool notifies you within a fraction of a second to reboot the computer, please do so.
  • Please tell me if you are now able to run programs.
Note: If the tool did not run you may change the extension to .com or .bat or .cmd or .pif
Regards,
Jason

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#7 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Jason, when trying to open .exe files it says that it is invalid win32 application.. In that case, the solution you provided is still in effect?

#8 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Yes, the file I've asked you to download does not have a exe file extension, so you should be able to run it, and it should fix the error you are seeing.
Regards,
Jason

#9 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

I already have an exe fix called 'exe_fix.reg' and that helped me 2 years ago to run them because after a mistake it said that .exe programs aren't identified as Windows extension. Do I still have to try your solution? Sorry for lot of questions :S

#10 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

This little program does some of the same things as the exe_fix.reg, but it does other things as well.
Regards,
Jason

#11 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

But, I can't download .exe files already because Chrome says 'insufficient permission'. This is weird and i think i have a malware..

Edited by Kurt14, 08 July 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#12 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

I will try your solution once i get home..

#13 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Can you give another link? That one doesn't work.

#14 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Kurt14,

The link works for me. What happens when you try to click on it? Do you get any error messages?
Regards,
Jason

#15 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

it says error while reading the 'cache' - I use chrome..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users