Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sim City

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Barmoor

Barmoor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

On my old computer I had Sim City. I now have a computer running Windows 7 64 bit. Can anyone tell me will Sim City play on Windows 7 and where can I get an up to date version.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thus far, I haven't been able to find a link to the version of Sim City you were using. It would be helpful to know what the OS was on the computer you had it on. My guess is that it won't run on the new computer given changes in graphics cards, hardware etc. though I cannot say for sure.

As for newer and current Sim City games, there are none that can be played on PC's. However, the company is developing a new version that will be. It is expected to come out in 2013. Given the planned date of release, it would be expected to run on Windows 7 32 or 64 bit given how long those OS's have been out.

See here: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/faq and here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/sharing-your-simcity-with-others/

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

What version of Windows 7? If you have 7 Professional or Ultimate you can use the XP mode component to see if it will work.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Barmoor

Barmoor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for responding. I use Windows 7 home premium. My Sim City 2000 was played on my original computer which ran on 98 SP3. Guess I shall just have to continue playing on Facebook and wait for the new version coming out next years.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Alternetaviy, you could try DosBox, it emulates older systems quite well!
http://www.dosbox.com/

Also, MS has kindly provided us all with an XP possabilty withing Win7 Pro or Ultimate (only), like Animal stated earlier, just for reference:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx/

Enjoy!

\0/
-Sec

Edit: Included Animals' reference.

Edited by S3cS3arch3r, 11 July 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Also, MS has kindly provided us all with an XP possabilty withing Win7:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx/

I already addressed that in my reply above. However the member does not have a version of Windows 7 that supports using Virtual PC and XP mode.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

You could try a Virtual Machine and run the appropriate OS in there and game as well. As long as your computer specs can handle it, I guess.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

That would require a license for the OS within the virtual machine also.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 cool_gamerss

cool_gamerss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

You need to install virtual machine software for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users