Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beatles won't play from hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

Hi,
I burned all my ancient Beatles cassette tapes to a couple of CD's, and the CD's play fine when inserted in the PC disk drive.
But when I saved the tracks from the CD's to my hard drive they refuse to play from there, no matter which prog I use to try to start it (VLC/ Quicktime/Win Media Player, Media Player classic)
(I'd prefer playing from the hard drive to save mechanical wear and tear on my disk drive and CD's)
I see the tracks on the CD's are .CDA format whatever that is, I don't know if it's relevant.
I'm Win XP Home,any advice?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

When you say "saved" the files from the CD, what specifically did you do? To extract playable files from CD tracks, you will need to rip the CD, burning or playing software commonly has a rip option, to create files in various formats such as .WAV, .MP3, .WMA etc.

How were the tracks from tape burned to the CDs? If it was done on that computer, you should be able to find the .WAV files the CD was burned from.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

I see the tracks on the CD's are .CDA format whatever that is, I don't know if it's relevant.

The CDA files are not the actual music. They are pointers on the CD that windows would use to play the music from the CD.

You need to convert from CD to .wav, or .mp3 or .flac etc.

You will need software for that. I don't have any that I use for that to recommend.

Let me research.

Roger

OK, here is one, read the warning and be careful to avoid installing a toolbar.

Freemake Audio Converter converts audio free to MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, AAC, M4A, OGG, convert audio to MP3 player, iPod, iPhone, iPad, PSP, extract audio from video, join audio files. NOTE! This is ADWARE, it includes a browser toolbar(bing or facemoods). It can be disabled when installing.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Freemake-Audio-Converter

Edited by rotor123, 07 July 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

When you say "saved" the files from the CD, what specifically did you do?..

It was over a year ago and i can't remember the details, I simply followed the instructions in a "How to burn music tapes to disk" tutorial i found on the net.
As I recall, I had to simply plug my tape cassette player into my PC to transfer the songs to my hard drive, then burn them to CD from there, it went off without a hitch.
I then threw away the tapes and deleted the songs from my hard drive (mistake) because I had them on the two disks.
So now I want to copy the songs from the disks back onto my hard drive but don't know how to do it, the copy/paste routine won't work because it sees only the CDA pointer and can't get its teeth into the songs themselves to pick them up.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi MickinPlymouth,

As an alternative to Freemake Audio Converter I can recommend two products from NCH - www.nch.com - 'Express Rip' and 'Switch sound file converter'. The first is, I think, 'free', the second has a licence fee but is worth it. With both, just put your CD into the drive, stop it if it starts to play, and run whichever ripper you want to use. Tell it where you want the files, let it do its thing, and your music will be on your hard drive.

You must have used some software to record the audio stream from your tapes in the first place. If you still have that, it may do the job for you from your CDs. I convert tapes from time to time and use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for the job. This does a fine job of recording and you can use it to clean up the audio - remove tape hiss, switching crashes etc.. So long as you don't expect to get CD quality sound from CDs originally recorded from, I presume, C90 type cassettes.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

This has worked pretty good for me, I addition I use it to correct 78RPM records recorded on a 45RPM turntable.
It has settings last time i used it that did the job.

AudacityŽ is free, open source, cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Thanks guys but I seem to have muddled through by having one last rummage around my Win Media Player in XP by inserting a Beatles CD, right-clicking on its name('Unknown Album') in WMP, then clicking 'Rip', and bingo the CD began auto-copying itself into the WMP Library!
I can then remove the disk and play from the Library.
It's been a hard day's night but I got there in the end..:)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 08 July 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Yep, that'll do the job. Glad you got it sorted.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users