Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Medic! (I'm hit!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D-C

D-C

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi, and thanks right off. Well I'm hit. I'm just now trying to figure a direction. First, (and I don't know if it's related)I got a pop-up window to update Adobe flash player. I just kept closing it, and it kept coming back. (I use foxit reader anyway)(I do use Firefox Btw).I did finally let it load after a day of trouble anyway thinking it might be some sort of patch for something they caused. I "accepted". Idk if I gave them my firstborn child, or my favorite piece of anatomy or what, anyway the following issues with loading it got confusing and it was late and i just gave up.(but the adobe pop-ups stopped)

Then I started getting all sorts of "re-directs" I guess it's called. "google heads" was in there...my free Spyware Terminator shows where/who it clambering around there...so adds come up, some won't close until you click a box "yes,I'm sure". Defiantly gives one the feeling someone is right there! (not that they aren't anyway)

So I do know a bit. I partitioned my drive on setup, I put C(& the OS) on a smaller piece, then all my drivers and programs and such on another. I still have a big chunk I didn't even format. (some programs and drivers insisted on going on C)

So my first "counter punch" was to go to windows firewall. Access is denied! Thought I might start by asking here. I could just wipe it and start over..I'm in the stix though with a slow cell modem, and this thing has something like 9 drivers. It hit July forth...any thoughts ? THANKS! Don.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D-C

D-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

OK. I looked around, was here on BC that I found <superantispyware.com> I downloaded the free version and ran it. (that took a long time here). Although I had emptied my cookies (or tried to), and had ran spyware terminator numerous times, it found over 300 cookies, and a handful of Trojans. The "re-directs" seem to have stopped and my speed seems it's normal lazy self. Also I don't hear the drive ticking and get the "tumbling hourglass" at odd times any longer.

BUT! I still get "Due to an unidentified problem Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings.", when I try to access the Firewall.

If one of you wizards could provide an angle for that, that would be appreciated!...Don

#3 D-C

D-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

OK, maybe resolution. More searching turned up <http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/due-to-an-unidentified-problem-windows-cannot-display-the-windows-firewall-settings.18437/>

There in post #10 is a link that seems to have (restored a .dll file in my registry?)(over my head!)Anyway it worked.

A final note. It shows it's on, but on re-start it blocked the "spyware terminator" program! (hadn't displayed anything before). So I left that blocked then removed that terminator program that didn't deem to be actually working anyway.

So everything "seems" fine......(Idk !), cheers, Don

#4 D-C

D-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

I just wanted to add, (to someone as lost as I was), in the "pinned" , sticky's at the top, about the 3rd one down Rkii...there is info om malware solutions. Also that in the Exceptions tab in the windows firewall the "allow remote access" box was checked. I always un-check that on a new OS,somebody was there.(Also in "system>>>remote>>there is a second box to un-check). That one was not changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users