Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Banding issue on monitor

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DrakesInception

DrakesInception

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

This is my first time posting here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, if not I'm sorry. This is really starting to bother me though so...well, here goes

My new monitor has banding issues "The presence or formation of visible stripes of contrasting color."

I don't notice it on solid colors (thankfully), however if I use a gradient on photoshop, or even if a website has a gradient (steam), I can see it. I also see it on some sun-ray like effects in video games. In Arkham City, moon rays show slight banding around Batman's cape (if that makes sense).

Also, I tried installing magictune, because it came with my monitor, but when I finished installing I got an error message and a blue screen. Luckily my computer is fine.
I've played around with the gamma constantly and all monitor settings, even in my nvidia settings and I still have banding issues. I'm connected VIA HDMI, I have a 560ti graphcis card, 8gb RAM, and my resolution is set at 1920 x 1080.

Ultimately I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or if a little banding is normal on a monitor this large.

Some additional info:
My Old Monitor: 22 inch, Samsung, 8000:1 contrast ratio, 2 ms

My New Monitor: 27 inch, Samsung, 1000:1 mega dynamic (whatever this means) contrast ratio, 2 ms

Please answer asap, I'm a photoshop student and I need this resolved, thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

My New Monitor: 27 inch, Samsung

What model is it?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Series 5 550. Is that the model?

Edited by DrakesInception, 06 July 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

It points us to the series, there should be a complete Model Number on the label on the back of the cabinet. Samsung sometimes have both a Model Number and a Model Name.

For example, if it's an S27A550H then the review here suggests uneven backlighting could result in some banding. But if it's not that model, it might not apply.

In any case, if the effect you're seeing follows the contours of color gradients, it might be a bit-depth issue, in which case we'd need the exact model to see if we can find a specification. I assume your video card is operating in at least 24-bit color depth?

#5 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Samsung S27B550

Edited by DrakesInception, 06 July 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#6 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Okay I googled how to check my color depth. It's telling me I'm running it at 1920 x 1080, True Color (32 bit), 60 hertz.

Edited by DrakesInception, 06 July 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

32 bit color depth means there should be no problem with the output from the computer. The only specifications I have been able to find for the monitor say 6.7 million color support, so that should be 24 bit, ie 8 bit (256 levels) each primary color. Do the effects you notice follow curved gradations? "Banding" suggests always straight lines, but I realize that may not be what you mean. Does the banding show on a gradient image such as this one:

http://cinetal.com/Download%20Library/stills/8bit_full_grad_color.png

Edited by Platypus, 07 July 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#8 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

"Banding" suggests always straight lines, but I realize that may not be what you mean. Does the banding show on a gradient image such as this one:

http://cinetal.com/Download%20Library/stills/8bit_full_grad_color.png

I see banding in the image (but more towards the darker side). And I see banding on curved and straight gradients / light effects

Edited by DrakesInception, 07 July 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#9 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

In this image for example I can see rings around the Apple logo (lighting effects). http://javierocasio.deviantart.com/art/Retro-Apple-56895537?q=boost%3Apopular%20in%3Acustomization%2Fwallpaper%2Fapple%20apple%20wallpaper&qo=0

The rings just don't look right, they're kinda squiggly and uneven in some areas if that makes sense. The lighting effects look low resolution even, whereas on my other monitor, it looks fine.

Edited by DrakesInception, 07 July 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#10 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Is this a problem with my monitor? Should I return it?

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Without being able to see what you see, it's very hard to give a definitive answer. Diagnosing a technical fault is always a process of elimination. Make sure there are no processing modes set in the unit's menu options which could be helpfully "enhancing" the image in an inappropriate way. Would the difference between the two displays show up in a digital camera shot of them operating side by side, like the evenness comparison in the topic I linked to earlier? (I know problems like moire mean camera shots of monitor images are often not useful.)

As far as knowing if your unit is "one-off" faulty, being able to compare it with another of the same type is the only way to be completely sure, if another looked the same, it could be just the way they are. But not many people can have the luxury of being able to do a comparison.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

I got an error message and a blue screen

Related or not... the information might extract some information regarding the details if you could able to post them. But you might wanna try another monitor just in case.

Tekken

#13 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

http://imgur.com/a/68ZZC

Click to enlarge images. It shouldn't be too hard to distinguish the old and new monitors. When shot side by side, the new monitor is always on the left. Take a look at the "Coolest" poster and you'll see my main issue with the new monitor.

Edited by DrakesInception, 10 July 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

Well it doesn't look normal to me, the grey scale gradations appear to alternate between lighter and darker instead of stepping evenly across the grey scale from light to dark. There will inevitably be steps, as there can only be at most 256 levels in a single shade, spread across 1960 pixels. But the level across the new monitor looks to go up/down/up/down, strange.

Apart from double checking that it's not an effect induced by a mode set in the menu options, like MagicBright, MagicColor etc, then I rather think it's got to be a fault of some kind. (I assume you have installed the driver for the new monitor?)

As jhayz mentioned, we are also assuming that the BSOD has had no ill effect, as its occurrence didn't seem to affect the other monitor. But as a final clearing of the computer itself as cause, you could double check that the new monitor shows the same problem on a different computer.

#15 DrakesInception

DrakesInception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

I went to bestbuy today. They brought their tech guy to me, he told me he's had the same issues with this monitor. He told me to go into nvidia control panel - adjust desktop color settings - Digital color format - dropdown menu - change to YCbCr444 which I did. Now I'm supposed to change the sharpness and put it to zero. Except the problem is, there is no option for sharpness anywhere on my PC. There is on the monitor, but changing the sharpness there makes my image look even worse. I'm about to return this monitor and buy another if I can't solve this problem soon.

Also we tested the monitor on different computers in the store, and they all had the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users