Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probably not the DNSChanger malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John Knee

John Knee

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

If I hadn't read about the DNSChanger malware today I probably wouldn't have bothered but...

For the last month or two, my connection has been, pants. It started with my ISP server (BT) killing the connection across parts of the UK - I think other ISPs suffered issues as well - there was a general network outage - and it took about a week before I got my connection back. Since then my connection has been slow - kinda. When I reboot my router, it isn't unusual for it for my "Internet Connection Status" box to tell me I have a connection of say 1.2 Mbps (although I am not convinced I am getting that speed). After somewhere up to 5-10 minutes, the speed suddenly drops to half a megabyte or (at time of writing this) 160.0Kbps with the connection duration starting again from zero seconds. It isn't unusual for even basic websites like Google.com to get stuck trying to load etc. Basic websites with zero flash etc struggle to load.

Reading in the paper today, it said that one of the main symptons of the malware is speed of the internet connection being majorly affected. And since all the PCs on the home network (2 x desktops and a laptop that sometimes connects via wireless) is running slow and the malware can take over the router rather than specifically the PC then..........

Bullguard Virus came up clean... Malwarebytes has come up clean... I ran TDSSKiller and it came up with 14 threats (although I made sure all boxes were ticked including the additional options. One of the "suspicious" was \Device\harddisk0\DRO (TDSS file system). For all I know, this is perfectly normal and it is my ignorance that is worrying. (I shut down TDSSKiller without doing anything - I might be ignorant of some things, but I know not to actionanything).

Everything is probably ok, but if someone can help me run a few diagnostics to make sure my system is still clean then it would be appreciated. I did run the FBI's check tool on their website via the PCworld.com, but since it basically says a clean thumbs up proves nothing, I'd rather check with you guys.

- forgot to add the sytem is Win XP (if that is relevant)

Edited by John Knee, 07 July 2012 - 04:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

You could try Eset.

Download

ESET online scanner

Install it