Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I would like to make a Email Serivce but...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

I dont know where to start.. I know the basics about networking, I will need a switch? a firewall,mail server,database server? and web server... can anyone give me ideas of servers and what sort of bandwidith I need for it.. I can get 8MBPS with a Busniess broadband package.. so yeah I have a slight idea of this and I do kind of know how to get a mail service working on the internet.. just need some help from people I guess because I will make stuff with Open Sourced things or from scratch.. and I would like to know what Copyright things I need to know about and stuff like that.. and ofcourse the first thing.. the Anti DDOS.. no idea how that works.. so yeah post some ideas, I need help. thanks a lot!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Setting Up Email on Your Website - Is this the type of thing you are looking for ??
Note that this is a commercial site, so they do promote themselves in some material -

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

When you say "make a email service", are you referring to something like Gmail/Yahoo, a corporate/group project, or just a personal @yourdomain.com email? The below answer is to starting something like Gmail/Yahoo, but it should fit for the corporate scenario as well. Doing personal @yourdomain.com is alot easier, however.

With only 8mbps (assuming that's the uplink side), you would probably be best going with a VPS or dedicated server in a commercial datacenter. 8mbps is very low for a full-out "service", if you're going to be offering this to multiple people. Most datacenters you can get 100mb/s - 1gb/s for just a few bucks more a month. The only problem comes that you would need to either colo (put a server in their datacenter) or lease a server from them. By leasing you will also be able to have them install firewalls and other security features to help protect again DDoS attacks (as you mentioned above).

Having said that, what experience with web development do you have? Starting out a single server should work fine, but later on you will need multiple IPs and servers to send email since many places are blacklisting IPs due to how much mail they send per hour/day. You will also either need experience in or hire a developer to code custom webmail clients (or use one of the freely available ones - which you can not theme to your own products that well, but it is possible).

Copyright wise - you shouldn't run into too many things. Legal wise, however, you would need to make sure the service wasn't abused to send spam and record information such as IP addresses from the users in case any threatening/abusive email was sent from your server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users