Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Out old Files to Improving RAM

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

I want to move files from my, Local Disk C, Presario 4403 to an External HD, to free up some RAM, can you tell me can I move these files without negative consequence ?

FileFolder-1
Posted Image

FileFolder-2
Posted Image

FileFolder-3
Posted Image

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Moving files off of your hard drive will not free up RAM. RAM only "stores" information that is currently being used. I say "stores" because the items in RAM are only temporary. Once the information is no longer needed or power to the pc is shut off, the data on RAM is erased.

The way to free up RAM is to reduce the number of running process. You can do this by removing them from the startup tab under msconfig or if they are not needed at all, you can disable the service/process.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Do you mean hard disc space or ram? And if you do want to stop processes from loading at boot please do NOT use msconfig to do so. Use a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility and should only be used as such.

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Allen and Outkast

I think I am back on track, . . however what about the Browser history
because when the browser is open I assume that from the collective recording of the history that this is in the current memory and therefore will effect the RAM, . . correct ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Why don't you tell us what the problem is that you're trying to address and let's see if we can help.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Simply a really slowed down PC, . . for example when I am in one of my graphic programs,
there are times when it all really slows down, .

I may have my Outlook express open and my Firefox Browser open ,and have several sites on that open,etc.

my Prersario only has a max. of 500 MB RAM so when I close everything and restart, Things get better.

I was hoping if I got rid of some files I might be able to work on graphics with browser and mail open, . .

I think not, huh?

Also there might be Photobucket on the browser and several .gifs are running in my folder, I guess that is eating up some RAM ?

Edited by Jove, 06 July 2012 - 06:02 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

>>"Also there might be Photobucket on the browser and several .gifs are running in my folder, I guess that is eating up some RAM ?"<<
Not unless you access them -
Any item with the Curled Arrow => means a shortcut, you have older versions example AVG 8 and 9 (delete the shortcuts and old versions of programs)
Screen317 Security Check is a right click delete, and the same with MiniToolBox as with a lot of other unwanted programs -

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

Well, the fact that you can only have 500 mb ram isn't great, is it? But it shouldn't be "horrible" either. Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Look at all of the tabs and uncheck anything you don't need and reboot. Also, make sure your system is free of malware - run full scans with both your AV and MalwareBytes. Then let's see where we are.

But again, unless you are VERY low on HD space, the number of installed programs is irrelevant.

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

OK Much Thanks, . . For sure I will get back to you guys !!

Mod Edit: Removed pointless graphic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 July 2012 - 07:10 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

BTW I have used Black Viper in the past, but I'd like to see your recmd.

Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, at this time I have a couple few suspicious files in msconfig start-up, but one in particular is Remote Access Connect..., have any advice on that one its Running I googled it and it appears that there are some Trojan references there, . .

The only AVG entry I see in A/R is AVG 9, if I delete it, will I still have an AVG installed ?

Sorry about the "pointless graphic" being removed by the moderator, I meant to use it as a weather humor greeting sort of thank you kind of gift for helping me out here, but Hamulus who has been on my case after he decided my signature needed to be modified, and actually never concluded that it was necessary after I question the need to do that, must have finally found something wrong with the graphic I posted here.

Edited by Jove, 09 July 2012 - 06:30 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

I'm a fan of Black Viper's site and have been for many years, but you need to know what you're doing even if you follow his recommendations. Disabling certain services can cause major issues.

I'm not familiar with Remote Access Connect, but it sounds like an app that was installed so a third party can access your system to assist with support. Did that ever happen to the best of your knowledge?

I wouldn't disable the AVG entry as a startup item.

As for hamluis, that' between the two of you. But it's been my experience that the mods on this site tend to be as unintrusive and helpful as possible and there's really no advantage to berating or criticizing them in public. If you have an issue with one of them you should really try to discuss it via PM. Just my opinion.

#12 cjifish

cjifish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

If you look at the lower right side of your desktop by clock and see more then just the clock all these are starting up at windows start, and they are running in the back ground taking up ram. You should have only icon for your antivirus and maybe firewall and of course clock running here; anything else you do not need. And you can use MSCONFIG in the Run to stop a lot of things you do not need.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

That's bad advice. You do not use msconfig to manage startup items. Msconfig is a diagnostic utility and should only be used as such.

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Ok I'll check it out, . . and let you know, but I have never had a third party use that app ??

AS FOR MODS YES THAT IS THE FIRST TIME IN 5 YRS I HAVE HAD ANYONE SEEM LIKE THEY WERE GETTING ON MY CASE ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users