Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RUNDLL error and can't connect to internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 DizzyPip

DizzyPip

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hey i'm getting some weird rundll error message that has just started coming up and since this started I can no longer get on the internet. The error message is as follows:

C:/docume~1/admin~1/locals~1/temp/sbdlef.dll
The specified module could not be found.

When I try to connect to the internet it can't. If I run the diagnostic tool from IE window it says:
detected a problem with the Winsock provider catalogue.

If I try and get on via Chrome it says:
DNS look up failed.

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P (System Model P5GD1-FM), if that is of any use. I am absolutely out of ideas as to where this problem has come from and how to get rid of it! Help would be much appreciated guys.

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2012 - 11:33 AM.
Moved from XP to Am i Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hello and welcome..
For the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DizzyPip

DizzyPip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hi thanks for the help I have tried all of these out to no success, see comments in red for the computers response.
I don't know if this makes a difference but i use a desktop switch (TP-Link 5-Port 10/100mbs) for this computer to access the net. It has been working fine prior to these error messages and if I bring the laptop down and try the same cable it works no problem.

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again. - this box was already unchecked.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset - following command not found.
Click on the enter key.

netsh interface ipv4 reset - following command not found.
netsh interface ipv6 reset - IPv6 not installed.
ipconfig /flushdns - internal error occurred: the request is not supported. Additional Info: Unable to query host name.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

First see if you can Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking and connect ,if not then you will need to put this on a flash drive or CD.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP/Vista)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Download and run WinSockFix. This is a two step process that will Back up the Registry and Reset the Winsock Stack.
  • Double click on WinsockXPFix.exe to open.
  • On the Winsock and TCP Repair Utility screen, click "ReG-Backup"
  • On the ERDNT Welcome screen, click "OK".
  • On the Backup to: screen, click "OK".
  • On the Folder does not exist question screen click "Yes".
  • You will see a status screen as your registry is being backed up.
  • On the Registry backup is complete! screen, click "OK" and you will go back to the main window.
  • On the Winsock and TCP Repair Utility screen, click "Fix".
  • On the Apply the VB_Winsock fix? screen click "Yes".
  • The screen will display a status message "repair completed please reboot."
  • On the Repair Completed screen click "OK" to reboot your computer.
  • If your computer was not using DHCP, you will need to reconfigure TCP/IP.
  • You should have connectivity restored.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DizzyPip

DizzyPip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hey, tried this just now and when I restarted the computer I still cannot connect. Could the RUNDLL error I get (mentioned in 1st post) have anything to do with this?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Does the file C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe exist?

If not.....

Look in this folder for a copy of rundll32.exe:

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

If it exists, copy it to C:\Windows\System32

That should fix the problem.

Edited by boopme, 11 July 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#7 DizzyPip

DizzyPip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

I have had a look in the files mentioned both have a Rundll32 file but it is classed as an application, can't see the .exe file extension anywhere. Screen grab attached:
Posted Image

EDIT: when in properties I went to the Version tab and found he original file name to be rundll.exe

Edited by DizzyPip, 12 July 2012 - 03:44 AM.

#8 DizzyPip

DizzyPip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Apologies for using multiple forums, without knowing how quick anyone was to reply and that there might be an overlap of users this is probably to be expected from new users. The guys over at Free PC Help are doing a really helpful job so I would like to continue to receive help via these guys. The thread is over at:
http://www.freepchelp.co.uk/threads/13784-RUNDLL-error-and-can-t-connect-to-internet-anymore?p=89400

Thank you all again for your attempts to help solve my problem and if you have any more ideas then you could pop over to Free PC Help as most of you guys seem to know of each other.

Once again all your efforts have been much appreciated.

DizzyPip

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

OK, I will close this. You have excellent help there with Starbuck.

The big issue with multi topic or site posting is the time it wastes,both looking for a solution and then why the results are not what it should be. We are all volunteering,so it the future that is what is appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users