Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

I want to run two separate drives from the same windows. I want to have all of my personal stuff on one
disc and my business on the other disc, but still just running one windows from one hard drive. What is the best way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Not possible unless you want to have the following directory format:

c:\program files - for business

and

d:\personal programs

Also what is this purpose? A business machine should be kept separate from a personal one. Using a Business machine as a personal one can lead to possible client data leakage through malware.

#3 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

I want to be able to sign in either under my name or the business name and have the files separated? Is this possible?

Edited by spngbobis4me, 05 July 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

No that is not possible under Windows, however, it is possible under Unix/Linux.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Unless I don't understand the question yes, of course it's possible. Use one drive or partition for Windows (this will by your System Drive) and put everything else on one or more different drives or partitions. Windows will see all of the drives / partitions on the system.

Edited by Allan, 06 July 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

What he wants to do is have 2 accounts and have two separate program files. One for his business applications and business username, and one for his personal applications under his personal username.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Ahhh. If that's the case you are certainly correct. However, it goes without saying that he can have just one account and still separate his business data from his personal data on different drives.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

FWIW: He could also just dual-boot two versions of Windows on different drives/partitions...if he really wants to have everything on the same system, but not mingle home with work.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users