Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Laptop LCD/Back light/Inverter Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tylerls1

Tylerls1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Firstly I apologize if this post is in the wrong section and if it is I would appreciate it if you could direct me to the right one.

Starting about six months ago my Toshiba Satellite M115-S1061 Laptop Display went out but an image is still visible from certain angles in bright lighting. The laptop display has not worked since then and I have been using an external display. Recently I put my computer into standby mode and when I turned it back on the light was working just like normal. I have tested this multiple times and turning on the computer setting it to standby mode and returning it back on works without failure in all the attempts that I have done so far. Could this be a hardware problem or a virus/malware problem? Any suggestions or advice for this problem would be very much appreciated.

-Thanks much, Tyler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

I would have to say based on your description that it is a hardware problem.
Normally I would say Inverter or Backlight, however in this case I believe not.

If I read and understand your message, now the screen stays lit?

If so this points more to a bad cable, or a bad connection to the cable.
The one cable usually feeds the power to the inverter, as well as video to the screen.
On the inverter are two connections, one to the LCD backlight and one to the cable from the motherboard.
So it could be either of those connections or slightly loose where it plugs into the motherboard. Or a bad wire in the cable where it runs up through the hinges. Every time you open and close the screen the cable is being twisted.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Tylerls1

Tylerls1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

@Rotor123:

If I read and understand your message, now the screen stays lit?

Yes now the screen stays lit but only after the computer is set to hibernate mode and turned back on. On the initial start up the screen displays a dim "ghost image" until the computer is logged in and put into hibernation and taken out of standby mode.

this points more to a bad cable, or a bad connection to the cable.

Could this still point to a twisted/bad cable? And if the cable is twisted why would the light come back on after simply switching into hibernate mode? If you could provide an explanation for this that would be much appreciated. Also I forgot to mention in my original post but if it makes a difference I am running Windows XP Professional.

I have done some work on computers before and I have never had any problems such as this one. It is quite the odd problem.

-Thanks Much, Tyler

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

When you turn it on does the Toshiba logo come on properly lit?
If so, when you go into the BIOS does it stay lit?

If so, that sort of sounds like a Software issue.

What happens when the screen is dim and you use the brightness up and brightness down function. It should be the FN Key and two of the F-Keys.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Tylerls1

Tylerls1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

The Toshiba logo is barely visible (The picture is there if the sunlight is shone at the right angle) just not lit up. I have yet to check the BIOS I'll keep you posted with that. The Brightness keys do nothing to the display, (the icon comes onto the screen but there is no difference in the screens level of brightness.) If it is just a software issue If I were to install a new operating system (I do not have the reset disk as I bought the computer used) would that fix the problem?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

The Toshiba logo is barely visible (The picture is there if the sunlight is shone at the right angle) just not lit up. I have yet to check the BIOS I'll keep you posted with that. The Brightness keys do nothing to the display, (the icon comes onto the screen but there is no difference in the screens level of brightness.) If it is just a software issue If I were to install a new operating system (I do not have the reset disk as I bought the computer used) would that fix the problem?

This definitely brings us back to hardware.

There is no software loaded when the Toshiba Logo appears on the screen.

going back to message two for possibilities. One other I wasn't able to pin down if your model has a mechanical switch or a magnetic switch to detect if the screen has been closed.

First look and see if there are any little plastic pins sticking up from base of the laptop. If so being gentle try pushing down on it and see if it moves and if so what happens on the screen when you do. When you push down on the little pin the laptop should suspend.

If you can't find that then, Try taking a magnet and with the laptop on, move the magnet around the base of the computer at the area where the bezel of the screen would be when the screen is closed.

Roger

If there is a change when doing that, what happens?

Edited by rotor123, 07 July 2012 - 09:51 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 Tylerls1

Tylerls1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Firstly the Bios does not light up. secondly my laptop is not magnetic It has two little clips on the top of the LCD screen that clip into the holes on the bottom. These pins were broken off when I bought the laptop and initially the laptop worked so I don't believe this to be the problem. But I will try anyways

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Those two are the screen latch. Nothing to do with how the laptop detects that you have closed the screen. The little pin or the magnetic switch are in the base somewhere in the back if it is a mechanical switch and anywhere around the keyboard where the bezel of the screen comes in contact with the base around the keyboard.

I hope I'm being clear.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 Tylerls1

Tylerls1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

I finally found the screen switch. I was a physical switch inside of the screen latch. There is a thin shiny surface going across the screen latch about halfway down the hole compared to the other latch (The 2nd latch does not have this thin surface). When you push down on surface (I did it with the end of some headphones that no longer worked). The screen instantly turned off and I will try it when not in the temporary solution.

Hang with me now, -Tyler

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I hope that is it.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Tylerls1

Tylerls1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Yes thank you so much the laptop starts without a problem now.

Very Appreciative, -Tyler

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Glad to hear it!

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users