Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ChkDsk ran at boot - Now only boots past windows loading,

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

ChkDsk got interrupter during an unplanned scan. I left it continue but knocked the power cord. I remember it saying deleting ****** and now i cant boot. Safe mode is a no go. Half loads. My wireless keyboard does not like Fkeys and only got into safe mode once. Got a CD here that can gain access to recovery console but i know nothing about using. Any ideas before i reformat?

I assume i can create a new partition next to an existing windows and then move all my files across before deleting that partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

I noticed ChkDsk can be found in the console. Ran it in the console and rebooted. Let the normal windows scan complete this time away from my power cord :D seems to be working fine again. Might be worth reading up on the console. Never needed it before.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Try running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, please.

1.Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive (after changing the boot order in the BIOS to reflect the opical drive as the first boot device.) Reboot.

2.When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair option by pressing R.

3.Tyoe 1 to reflect the O/S that you want to work with, hit Enter.

4.When you are prompted for password, just hit Enter.

5.Type chkdsk /r (exactly sa I have typed) and hit Enter. The check will start, do not interrupt it. Upon completion, a summary screen will appear and no further action will be noted.

Type EXIT to reboot into Windows.

Louis

#4 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hi hamluis and thanks for the reply. We must of posted around the same time. :thumbsup: All sorted this end.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Did you run chkdsk /r from the recovery consoles (NOTE THE /r switch)? If not, please follow hamluis' suggestion and do so now.

#6 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes i did. The console actually reminds you of this if running it with out the switch. Thanks guys.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Okay, cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users