Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

streaming video stutters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

I have a eMachines E525 laptop
CPU: Celeron @2.2GHz
RAM: 2GB
Intergrated video graphics: Mobil Intel 4 series express chipset family

My problem is that when watching videos from netflix, youtube, or blip, the video's audio and video will stutter and skip, like the CPU and GPU can't handle it. On youtube and blip the solution is simple, just wait for the video to finish buffering to 100%
There is another trick I can use, going to full screen greatly reduces the stutter & skip.

This computer can download an HD video from youtube/blip and play it on any given FLV media player just fine.
I don't know if this is a driver issue, or a hardware issue.
It could be that downloading the video at 2.1 MBps while watching play back is too much for the CPU. Or it could be that little progress bar on Flash Player, being an animated image over top of a video causing the problem i.e. driver issue.
I've monitored my CPU usage during streaming video, and it does run at 100% a lot. But is that because of weak GPU/CPU or is that because of a bad driver?

Any idea on what I can do? Any trick to make Netflix buffer 100% of video?

So what do you think, is it a software/driver issue or a hardware too slow issue?
Any ideas for improving my computer's video playback performance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

Hi -
Please run a check with Speed Test to check your download speed and post the results back here -
Just click on an area near to where you live and the program will do the rest. It will report Ping, Download, and Upload speeds.
Be careful you do not click on any advertising or promotional programs on the site -

Thank You -

#3 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

Could be your speed yes or you may need to upgrade.. I mean the intergraded Graphics cards are crap for HD Rendering if thats what your trying to watch.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I ran the speed test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2047663300.png
Ping: 5ms
Download speed: 21.05
Upload Speed: 6.24

I guess earlier when I wrote I download at 2.1 MBps, I may have written the wrong abbreviation. I mean, I normally download at 2.1 mega bytes per second. I keep forgetting that internet speed is measured in either mega "bits" or meba bits or whatever.

My speed seems to be just fine.

If it's my hardware that is the problem, I guess I have to buy a new lap top. Because I never heard of installing a graphics card on a lap top.

#5 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

First problem I see is you need more RAM. 2GB is not enough for 64 bit Windows 7 (even though Microsoft says it is). A 64 bit Windows 7 machine should have 4 GB of RAM. I stream Netflix from my Toshiba with the 4 GB of RAM, and buffering problems are almost nonexistent.

#6 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

I found a fix for my problem.
I set the power options to "high performance" I've heard on some lap tops that can allow the CPU and GPU more power. I can't personally swear it did a lot of good though.
What did work is I found out that on Netflix there is an HD option, so I turned off HD, that greatly alleviates the strain on my system, and I haven't noticed any skip/stutter since.

I'll be building myself a high performance desktop in a few months, so I'm not worried about upgrading this lap top.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users