Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!!! No programs launch, "registry key marked for deletion" (I fubar'ed big time)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 douggreene

douggreene

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

I had a virus and HostGator suggested running your program. So I ran ComboFix following the directions.

And now the message for ANY program I try to launch is "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion."

The computer starts up, but NO programs work. What did I do wrong?

I am trying to follow the directions at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix#manual_recovery

Unfortunately, I don't have any Windows 7 start-up disks or recovery disks. I have a Thinkpad W520. They don't come with them. HELP!!! It appears every single program registry file I have has been designated for deletion.

Email: doug(at)douggreene-dot-net.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 douggreene

douggreene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

I saw this:

In order to access the Windows 7 System Recovery Command Prompt you first need to boot your computer off of the Windows 7 DVD by inserting it into your DVD player and turning your computer on. Your computer will start and you should see the BIOS listing the hardware on your computer as well as other information. When that information has been cleared, your computer will see that a bootable DVD is inserted and present a prompt similar to Figure 1 below. If your computer does not boot off of the DVD, and instead boots directly into Windows 7, then you can read this guide on how to configure your bios to boot from a CD or DVD.

at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

The problem is that THERE IS NO WINDOWS 7 DVD. Lenovo ONLY has RECOVERY CD's.

#3 douggreene

douggreene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:52 AM

Okay ... somehow managed to go back to a system restore point and now it seems to be working fine.

Whew!

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users