Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My headsets are broken, so my speakers don't work?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Carfan500

Carfan500

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Earlier today I emerged from a bathroom break to find my headphones in the middle of the floor with the plug bent thanks to my dog. Now the strangest thing has happened: My speakers won't work. I know they're on; when I turn them up I can hear a hiss, but there's no other audio. There's no evidence to suggest my dog got to them and it's almost impossible for him to reach. What has happened? The speaker plug is in the computer rock solid. The only remote possibility I can think of is that the computer somehow didn't realize the headphones have left the audio jack, but looking around I have seen nothing to suggest that the headphones are still registering.

Does anybody know what has happened?

UPDATE: I got the headsets fixed. It seems my theory might be correct, as the PC does not notify me anymore when I plug them in or remove them.

Edited by Carfan500, 04 July 2012 - 10:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

Were the headphones plugged into the computer when the dog got to them? If so, my thought is that the thing the headphone plugs into may be damaged.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Carfan500

Carfan500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

Were the headphones plugged into the computer when the dog got to them? If so, my thought is that the thing the headphone plugs into may be damaged.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Yes, and the PC is a Lenovo Learning Center. If it makes any difference, the headsets still work, it's just that the PC doesn't notify me when I plug them in or out.

Thanks for getting to me so quickly, by the way! Happy fourth!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

I don't find a Lenovo identified as Learning Center. Is this a desktop, laptop, or . . . ? Is there a model number?

Given your description, I'm thinking there may be a disconnection somewhere behind the headphone jack that would link it in some way to the speaker. Or perhaps there is a switch that is now malfunctioning. I'd need to see images of what it's supposed to look like back there to know with greater certainty what may be messed up.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Carfan500

Carfan500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

Whoops, sorry! It's actually called the IdeaCentre K320 desktop.

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi, Somewhere on the tower should be a machine type number. usually in the format xxxx-xxx where the first 4 are numbers and the last three can be numbers or letters.

This will help find the proper maintenance manual.

What I suspect is that the headphone jack is damaged. It sounds as if the front jack is the one damaged. Not the one on the back of the computer.

These front headphone jacks are usually designed to disconnect the rear speaker jacks when the headphones are plugged in. This means that the rear speaker jacks are routed through the front headphone jack and if that is damaged you can get the result you are seeing.

for reference:
Near the bottom of the page look for where it says Configurations and schematic symbols right below that is a image showing headphone jacks. Your computer probably corresponds to D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

D. This three-conductor jack has two normally closed switches connected to the contacts themselves. This would be useful for a patch point, for instance, or for allowing another signal to feed the line until a plug is inserted. The switches open when a plug is inserted. A common use for this style of connector is a stereo headphone jack that shuts off the default output (speakers) when the connector is plugged in.

So at this point if it is the front headphone jacks then I do need to machine type number so I can bring up the maintenance manual and see what parts may be needed.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 July 2012 - 11:31 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Carfan500

Carfan500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Where is the number, usually? The closest thing I can find is a label on the side that says "CPU: Ci7-860".

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

That just means you have a Intel I7 860 most likely.

I found the manuals, they are not useful right now.
Go into the Bios setup and get the model and serial number from there.

Go here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD024784

which has these lines

To view your system configuration or the parts of your computer, please select the country and enter a serial number after you click on the following URL:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/configuration/configuration.html

See if it shows the front panel part number. That should be the part up at the top of the computer where the headphone plug in. That is where they were plugged in? In the back would be different.

For future reference.
Lenovo IdeaCentre K320 Hardware Replacement Guide V3.0.pdf
http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/K320/Lenovo%20IdeaCentre%20K320%20Hardware%20Replacement%20Guide%20V3.0.pdf

Lenovo IdeaCentre K3 Series Hardware Maintenance Manual
http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/K300/Lenovo%20IdeaCentre%20K3%20Series%20Hardware%20Maintenance%20Manual.pdf

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 Carfan500

Carfan500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

I don't see any numbers near the audio jack, which is on the front. Here's a picture of it: http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1388/img01511u.jpg

Also, if it helps here is the list I got from the link you provided:

Serial Number:
ES06480458
Product Information:
IdeaCentre K320
MTM:

Product Configuration
Parts information Quantity
TX GL826 long wire 4 CARD Reader ® [1]
AVC Z8UL06S001 95W CPU COOLER® [1]
Elp_R J1108BDBG-DJ-F 2GB DDRIII1066RAM® [4]
I C i7-860 2.8/1333/8/1156 95 B1 CPU® [1]
System Board ( IH57_ALC888S_82578DC ) [1]
Hitachi Jupiter HDS721010CLA332 1TBLHHDD [1]
Primax LXH MODWUO(Pix) USB mice [1]
Sunrex LXH JME2207P (FN) PS2 Keyboard [1]
MSI@Geforce GT 320@1G/A/DB/H Graphics [1]
Acbel PC6001-EL6G ATX 280W Robust Power® [1]
TSST 16XTS-H653G SATA BlACK DVDRW [1]
CT AR9280 11N WLAN [1]
JT ATC2 LX-320 Cwithsis® [1]

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Another dead end I'm afraid.

Just to confirm it was the front jacks that the headphones were plugged into?

At this point it looks like either put in a sound card and get speakers working or call non warranty parts ordering.
Lenovo Non Warranty parts ordering @ 1-877-719-0841 and hope they can find the part number, You will need to have a credit card handy to order from them.

I'll try one last thing Monday, but to be honest I'm not having very good Luck. usually with Lenovo no problems, but that is with the Think line and not the idea line.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Carfan500

Carfan500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Another dead end I'm afraid.

Just to confirm it was the front jacks that the headphones were plugged into?

At this point it looks like either put in a sound card and get speakers working or call non warranty parts ordering.
Lenovo Non Warranty parts ordering @ 1-877-719-0841 and hope they can find the part number, You will need to have a credit card handy to order from them.

I'll try one last thing Monday, but to be honest I'm not having very good Luck. usually with Lenovo no problems, but that is with the Think line and not the idea line.

Roger

Yes, they were in the front. How'd that thing on monday go?

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm mot leaving you hanging, there is one more possibility I'll try tomorrow. I'm not real hopeful and it means working my way through pages of parts and hoping I recognize the one you need.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Well that did not pan out either.

I have to fall back on putting in a sound card to get sound.

The other alternative would be if the same model turns up on Ebay really cheap marked for parts , not working.Or the part needed appears on Ebay, which I did not really find a part number for making it tough.

Since it isn't that old I'm not real hopeful there either

Very Sorry
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Not to interfere or anything, just my 2 cents:

The front-side 3.5mm jacks (Headphone / Mic) are connected to the motherboard with a small connector.
If this connector is unplugged (AFTER the system is turned OFF and power cables are REMOVED of course!), the system *SHOULD* detect that all connections were lost, hence giving power back to the 3.5MM jacks at the rear of your case.
Although you wouldn't be able to use the front-side jacks anymore, you *SHOULD* get sound from the rear ones.

You'll have to open up your case to make this work though.
Please start at the link rotor123 found here: http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%27s%20guides%20and%20manuals/K320/Lenovo%20IdeaCentre%20K320%20Hardware%20Replacement%20Guide%20V3.0.pdf
If you look at the picture on page 7, and the explanation of that picture on page 8...
You will notice "Connector 12" (Most down-left connector on the MoBo) is called "Front Audio", this is the one I'm talking about.

• Disconnect all cables from every side of the case. This includes ALL cables, even non-powered ones.
  • Loosen the screws on the right side of the back of your system-case. I'm guessing you'll need a Phillips screwdriver. Only loosen the 2 screws on the RIGHT side of the back of your case, leave the rest in place!
  • Now gently pull away the side plate (right side) of your system case. This may require some sliding forward, backward or sideways, just take it nice and slow and you'll figure that out.
  • You will now see the insides of your case, just like the picture on page 7, but with a lot of things and cables in front of that. Luckily, the bottom-left corner seems to be clear of and major obstructions.
  • Look bottom-left for the connector indicated on the picture as number "12". It will probably be called FAUDIO in tiny letters on the MoBo itself as well. Make sure you have the right one!
  • BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE INSIDES, MAKE SURE YOU'RE GROUNDED!!! Touching the case and the heating pipes at the same time does the trick. Always touch the bare metal case at the same time you touch anything on the insides. Never touch any exposed electrical circuits unless absolutely nesesarry...
  • OK, now gently (GENTLY!) pull on this connector and leave it disconnected, make sure it doesn't keep laying around loose, but rather tie it around (GENTLY!!) another wire or something. Make sure all other wires remain untouched or are put back in the place where they belong.

WARNING: Disconnecting the wrong wire may result in an un-bootable system.

If you require more help, are not yet comfortable doing this just yet, or need more information, please do not hesitate to ask!

Good luck,

\0/
-Sec

Edited by S3cS3arch3r, 14 July 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#15 Carfan500

Carfan500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

After thinking it over, I think the sound card option would be the best. Will it restore the functionality of both the speakers and the headphones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users