Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Me To Xp

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Old Hippie

Old Hippie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Since I am having so many problems with ME and Microsoft ending support , I have decided to replace it with XP Home Edition. I haven't a clue on how to do it. I tried to find a tutorial here but couldn't. Could someone give me a step by step or point me to a tutorial ??? Thanks..... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

Could I ask you some question first? What is your coputer's proccessor speed, RAM, Hard Drive size?Are you going to keep most of your programs and data? Are you networking to other computers you home? Why did you go with Home instead of Pro?
These question will help thru the entire install. Which by the way is not that hard.

Edited by acklan, 05 March 2006 - 10:49 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:51 AM

Well, first the bad news: XP needs more resources than ME. The most important of these is memory. Although it will run on 256mb RAM, it's better to have 512mb. If you've got an old computer without room for sufficient memory, I'd start thinking about a new one.

That said, it's possible to run XP on something like a 350mhz processor and 256mb RAM.

The easiest way to install XP would be to buy an upgrade disk. But you might prefer to simply have the regular XP disk because when you re-install, you won't be upgrading and if you use the upgrade, you'll have to re-insert your ME disk or equivalent each time you re-install.

So, if you think your computer can handle it, get an XP disk and stick it in the drive. You'll need to set your BIOS to start from the CD, and as soon as installed, set it back to boot from whatever it's set at now. Usually, it's A: first and then C:.

You'll want to back up all your data first, which you should have been doing all along. Banking info, favorites, pictures, documents, etc. (If you upgrade, this info should be saved, but in the event of a problem, you could lose everything.)

Do you know how to enter your BIOS and change the boot order? That's the first step - usually by pressing the Delete key as the computer is starting, then using your arrow keys to move through the tabs and menu choices. Once in there, you'll see instructions to move around. Then set the boot order to start from the CD-Rom first, hard drive second. Change it back once installed.

When you open the XP package, pay close attention to the PRODUCT KEY. This is important. It's in sticker form and if you have a shrink-wrapped version, it's easy to lose or damage it. This sticker should be attached to your case, either on the side or on the back to make it easy to find.

Then start the computer with the XP disk in the drive and basically just follow directions. You may want to read up on some guides first so that you have some idea what to expect. You should make sure you have, at the very least, a good antivirus to install before you connect to the internet. I recommend the free version of AVG from grisoft.com.

Most versions available today have SP2 already installed, so you can skip anything about SP1 or SP2.

Here are some sites where you can read more about installing XP:

Michael Stevens

Paul Thurrot

Eldergeek

Tweak 3D

I usually use OEM disks to install XP because they're cheaper. However, in order to buy one, you have to buy hardware with it, such as a motherboard and processor. You can search sites such as Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com for OEM versions, best for when you're building a new computer. Win XP Pro is preferable if you're planning on networking computers, otherwise, XP Home is probably sufficient for the average user.

#4 Old Hippie

Old Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

When we ordered this computer from Gateway(bad Choice) ME was the only OS offered and I guess XP was about to come out because it came with a free upgrade to XP Home coupon. But I never did it.
This is off invoice :

Intel 1500 MHz Pentium 4 (1.5GHz) and Motherboard
128MB Memory Module
20GB 5M Ultra ATA Hard Drive

What is Fat 32 (download only) it was on the invoice ???

I don't want to save anything on my computer I want to do a fresh install.

I have already bought a OEM disk of XP Home on EBay so it's on the way. Do I need to get larger memory Module ??? Thanks

Edited by Old Hippie, 05 March 2006 - 04:14 PM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

What is Fat 32 (download only) it was on the invoice ???

It is the file format Windows uses to keep track of the information on your. It is recommended you use NTSF when given the chance in the install process. It will increase the usable size of your hard drive, and is considered a better file format.

I don't want to save anything on my computer I want to do a fresh install.

That will simplify the installation. I recommend you wipe your computer's hard drive prior to installing XP Home. It will take several hours (best started at supper time and let run over nite). Some will say it's over kill but I have used this technique for years and would not install an OS without it. That's just me. This is the program I recommend for a Quick wipe, Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility.

I have already bought a OEM disk of XP Home on EBay so it's on the way. Do I need to get larger memory Module ??? Thanks

I would have recommended XP Professional. If for no other reason than it is at the end of it life cycle. Which means Microsoft is about to make is difficult to get support. Another is it is less secure than Pro.
128mb. Oh boy. Yep you need ALOT of RAM. The good news RAM is cheap right now. I will go out on a limb and assume you have DDR RAM. Use Everest Home to determine what you have. I would go ahead and install a 1gb stick. For that machine I cannot imagin you needing more. If you are strapped for money add 512mb on top of the 128mb. You should be able to pick up a stick at CompUSA or Best Buy.

One more recommendation. Do not buy any software until you check with us. We can point you to freeware in almost every case instead of spending your money on software.

Good luck, and let us know when you want to get started.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

Is this a still-wrapped version? You need to have your own install key! If someone has already used the install key and you use it too, it will shut down both computers when you activate it.

I'd be checking what kind of memory you have. You need to know the bus speed and what slots are available. I'd buy a single 512 mb stick.

#7 Old Hippie

Old Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

acklan ..... I ran mycomputer thru Gateway's Memory Locator , it showed I had (1) 128-MB 133/66-64-Bit 4-Clock 16x8 SDRAM DIMM ..... It recommended " 512 MB PC133 SDRAM " at 149.99 ...... I found them on line as cheap as 50 bucks , But there is so many brands ....What brand would you recommend ?????

The scan said :Number of memory slots on board : 3 (3 banks of one)

Max amount / Type of RAM that can be installed : 1536 MB SDRAM PC133

Herk... This is what it said :

This is the newest Operating System that comes with Service Pack 2.
The product comes with a Certificate of Authentication (COA) on the back of the page

The Certificate of Authentication has never been used

The software is new sealed OEM bundled with "AS-IS" non-peripheral hardware to comply with Microsoft and eBay OEM regulations.

Contents of the Package

* Microsoft Holographic Windows XP Home CD
* Unique Product Key.
* Comes with Microsoft owners manual
* Comes with Certificate of Authenticity (COA)

This is a full version. You will have to do a full install. No floppy disk required for boot up. The CD ROM is bootable, all you need to do is install the CD into the ROM drive and follow the instructions.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

I prefer PNY Memory, but there are many good brands out there. The last new memory I purchase was for a friend at Best Buy 3 weeks ago. We paid $90 for a 1gb stick. Herk's recommendation of 512mb, along with the 128mb stick already inside your computer should be ample for your needs. I would not waste my money buying RAM thru Gateway when the same RAM can be had for a fraction of the price.
If yo find you need more RAM it will be just as cheap to install another stick.

On the software, as long as it arrives as promised you are good to go.

Now that you are this far along yo need to consider security. I would recommend you download and burn to CD the following. Most of these scanners, antispyware, trojan removers, may appear to be unneccessary but once infected it came be difficult if not impossible to install once infected. Most just reside on your hard drive waiting to work. Only a few will proactivily guard your system.

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Choose one of the following antivirus, although I recommend AVG, anyone of them are outstanding programs. If you have here of, or use one of the others download it.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

The following software is often over looked when securing a computer but is just as vital as an antivirus program. I use, recommend, and like SyGate, but they are all proven softwares that will serve you well.

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

You should install these program before you connect to the internet. Atleast you antivirus. Once connected update your XP Home operating system withall recommended updates provded by Microsoft.

You ask for help. :thumbsup: If you have question we will be glad to answer them.

#9 Old Hippie

Old Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

acklan ,

I have been to several help forums before in search of knowledge and this one is by far the friendliness forum I've been to.:thumbsup:

I THANK YOU for all the help you and other forum members have given me .......... :flowers:

I have Norton Internet Security , Should I replace it with , AVG Free Edition Antivirus and SyGate Personal Free Edition , since it has a firewall too.

I have also been told to delete Internet Explorer and install FoxFire , What's your take on this .

Again , THANK YOU !!! :trumpet:

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

You are welcome. I gave up on Norton and MacAfee long ago. I find them far to heavy on resources. To be fair many are quite happy with both and they have a large corporate following.
AVG and SyGate are excellent protection, and are highly recommended by our members.
You cannot delete Internet Explorer. It is intergrated into Windows, all verisons. There are several good browser alternatives. Foxfire, Opera, Mozilla. If you have the room on you drive install all of them. It will not hurt and it could be fun experimenting.

We work real hard here at BC to make everyone feel comfortable. It is hard enough for new computer users (and not so new users) without someone dealing you a hard time. I am glad thing are working and hope to here some good news about your computer soon.

Good luck, Peace.

#11 Old Hippie

Old Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

I went online to best buy in search of a memory stick.... Got confussed when I read this :

SDRAM
SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory) is the most commonly used memory on the market at the present time. It has a 168-pin configuration and is powered by 3.3 volts, and is made by many manufactures in memory sizes of 32 to 512 MB single-chip solutions.

All SDRAM are DIMMS (Dual In-line Memory Modules). The DIMM uses a 64-bit data path, or a 72-bit data path with parity bits. The SDRAM memory chips are based on a 64-bit data channel. Therefore, if using SDRAM memory chips, only one DIMM would fill the data channel. As for the older SIMM modules, they required the memory to be used in pairs, making it so you had to use two at a time. :thumbsup:

Now my system has : Number of memory slots on board : 3 (3 banks of one)

Max amount / Type of RAM that can be installed : 1536 MB SDRAM PC133

So , will everything work ok if I buy a 512MB and plug it into one of the 2 empty slots left ?????

Thanks ........... :flowers:

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

In that computer you should be able to buy a PC133 512mb memory stick install it into slot 2 and be fine. The worst that will happen while installing is static shock which could damage your memory module. Pick up a $6 static wrist strap and clip it to the case before touching your memory if you want to be cautious.
Do you have a Fry's, Best Buy, CompUSA, or a local computer store next to you? If so go pick one up there.
If you can download and run Everest 2.20, it will give you a true description of your memory stick. Gateway want you to buy memory from them so they will give you information that will steer you in that direction.

#13 Old Hippie

Old Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

I downloaded Everest 2.20 here is what it said :

Size : 128 MB (1 Rank , 4 Banks)

Type : Unbuffered

Type : SDRam

Speed : PC 133 (133 MHz)

Width : 64 bit

What's the difference between buffered and unbuffered ?????? :thumbsup:

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

I could copy and paste, but I should give credit where do...

http://bugclub.org/eric/memory/buffered.html

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

I have Norton Internet Security , Should I replace it with , AVG Free Edition Antivirus and SyGate Personal Free Edition , since it has a firewall too.

I have also been told to delete Internet Explorer and install FoxFire , What's your take on this .

AVG is my antivirus of choice. But I believe Sygate has recently abandoned the free version of their firewall. However, Zone Alarm is still free and it's the one I usually use.

Firefox is also the current browser of choice. Once you get used to the tabs, you'll never want to go back. As Acklan said, you can't delete or uninstall Internet Explorer, but you can make Firefox or one of the others your default browser. That said, you still need IE to get things from Microsoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users