Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rickshaw Driver

Rickshaw Driver

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

... it allows me to download them, but says that they fail on install. It tells me to check my update history to see the reason, but I have no update history when I go there. I just finished with a lengthy session of malware, spyware and virus removal in the HJT forum and have a clean machine now. I would like to keep it that way by updating to SP2 and downloading the critical updates.

The current OS is Windows XP Home. I have tried disabling everything possible including NAV and other anti-spyware software suggested to me here at bleepingcomputer.com. I have done a full check disk with no luck. I would really appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide, thank you.

Edited by Rickshaw Driver, 04 March 2006 - 08:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

Before installing SP2 you must be sure your computer is totally free of malware, and completing what they told you to do in the HJT forum should have left you so.

Hopefully, the following will help:

Getting and Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...installsp2.mspx

before you install SP2, you need to disable antivirus software you're using and close any open programs. This is always a good idea before installing new software, but it's especially important when you're installing a service pack. And for SP2, it's important that you disable any antivirus software especially. Some antivirus software can interfere with the SP2 installation.

You can find the bits download info here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default...._start_page.asp

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 March 2006 - 11:22 PM.

#3 Rickshaw Driver

Rickshaw Driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

Thank you Enthusiast, that was a big help. I was able to download and install SP2, but unfortunately it didn't solve all of the problem. When I go to the updater, it tries to install the validator tool, but fails. I have checked my active x settings and they seem to be ok, but I don't even get prompted to download it so I am pretty sure I already have the control needed. I guess at this point I need to add that this is a valid OEM version of Windows XP Home that came with the computer from Dell. Any suggestions on how to get the validator working right?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

If you set it to update and install automatically you bypass the necesssity to validate, however we should still find out and cure the problem because it will let you get other Microsoft freeware offers from time to time which require validation.

What exactly does it say when validation fails or hangs?

#5 Rickshaw Driver

Rickshaw Driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

I was wondering why I was getting updates with the auto updater when I didn't have the validator working right. Now I know. As far as the update goes, it gets to "Initiating Instalation..." and then jumps to "Updates were unable to be successfully installed - The following updates were not installed: Windows Genuine advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:22 PM

This site gives you info on validation.

Do you have Active X on and are you using IE to get the updates?

Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130/en-us

#7 Rickshaw Driver

Rickshaw Driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

Active X was on, and I changed it to prompt for each setting so I could see it working. I accepted everything that came in and still nothing. I did read the description and even went to the page to check validity of the software and I was able to validate it. When I went back to the updater I noticed the little "details" button where it tells you what you need to download. When I clicked on that it said that it had been downloaded and was ready to install, but it said 0kb of 0kb had been downloaded. Not sure if that means anything but thought I would throw that out there.

*Edit* Sorry forgot to answer your other question. Yes I am using IE to update.

Edited by Rickshaw Driver, 05 March 2006 - 09:21 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:38 PM

If the validation tool worked you are now fine.

Keep it set for automatic updates.

Okb means you have all available updates.

#9 Rickshaw Driver

Rickshaw Driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:59 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the download validator did not work. What I mean is that I was able to validate on this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx

#10 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

Most probably your firewall or antivirus is interfering here.
Anyway, nothing to worry about, you can install the Validator manually.

Found this at windowsupdate.forum:

If the WGA issue occurred when the Windows system has been activated, it was likely caused by one of the following factors:
1. A security program running background prevents the validation tool from running properly.
2. The WGA engine was not installed or running properly.
We can take the following steps and see if the issue can be resolved.
==========================
Step 1: Disable the security programs temporarily
*The following programs can prevent the validation tool from running properly. I suggest we disable them temporarily to test the issue:
*Norton Security programs
*Panda Antivirus programs
*Web Accelarator programs
*Anti-Spyware programs
If any of the above programs cause the issue, please check if it can be re-configured to accept the WGA ActiveX control. Otherwise, please
temporarily disabled to enable the WGA validation tool. However, please re-enable the application after we complete the troubleshooting steps.
Step 2: Install the WGA engine manually
The WGA engine may have been already installed but is not working properly.
We can use the following steps to reinstall it. This will ensure the engine files be copied and registered properly.
1. Download the ActiveX cab file from the following link and then save it to the Desktop.
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c/f/acfe4666-1faf-43fd-b6fb-19191521126d/LegitCheckControl.cab>
Open the downloaded cab file and we will find the following three files:
GWFSPIDGen.dll
LegitCheckControl.dll
LegitCheckControl.inf
2. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "%windir%\system32" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the GWFSPIDGen.dll and LegitCheckControl.dll files into the opened system32 folder.
3. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "REGSVR32 LegitCheckControl.dll" (without the quotations) and press Enter. We will see a popup message state
this process succeeded.
4. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "inf" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the LegitCheckControl.inf file into the opened inf folder.
5. Right click on the copied LegitCheckControl.inf file in the inf folder, and then choose Install. The WGA engine will be installed automatically.
After we finish the above steps, please restart the computer and try to validate the Windows again.

AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#11 Rickshaw Driver

Rickshaw Driver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

I appreciate the help miekiemoes but that didn't do the trick unfortunately. :thumbsup: I have started a session with Microsoft support and we'll see what happens. I'll post back just in case there is anything that might help anyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users