Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Maximum CPU Temperature

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Salv

Salv

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hi

I've noticed that HWMonitor has been recording very high max temperatures for my CPU. The following images were captured while I was playing a few games.

Posted Image

As you can see, CPUTIN apparently becomes quite hot under stress. However, I've sat and watched the numbers myself and the current temp never actually changes to the maximum, whatever it's reported to be. This leads me to wonder if there's some sort of multiplier issue going on, since the highest temperature always seems to be about double that of the current one (38/75, 45/90 etc.). Of course, it could just be an incorrect reading but that might also apply to the cooler current CPUTIN temp which is equally as worrying. I've occasionally checked SpeedFan, AIDA64 and Real Temp yet never seen anything out of the ordinary. Although, those programs do not record the highest temps in the way HWMonitor does.

Is there anything I can do to find out if CPUTIN really is reaching those levels? I've not experienced any crashes while playing various games and the next hottest thing in the system is the GPU which hasn't been above 70 from what I've seen. I'm using 1920x1080 on Windows x64.

General hardware includes:

ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Intel i5-3470
PowerColor 6870
Corsair TX650

Everything is as it came, no modifications or overclocking. I believe the drivers are all up to date.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

what concerns you? Im not finding the specific max temp for that CPU, but the vast majority of modern temps have a maximum safe temperature around 140 degrees F. or 60 degrees C. All your temps look fine.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Salv

Salv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

what concerns you? Im not finding the specific max temp for that CPU, but the vast majority of modern temps have a maximum safe temperature around 140 degrees F. or 60 degrees C. All your temps look fine.

The numbers I'm worried about are the maximum (third column) CPUTIN temps that you can see listed above the the cores themselves. The first set has it at 75c, the second 86, the third 89 and the last 90. I included the core temps to show that they, specifically, were fine, as you said.

I believe the thermal protection is something like 69C for the i5-3450 so I can't imagine it's much different for the 3470.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

CPUtin as far as I understand it, is not the temperature your cores are at but the temperature the top of the CPU is running at, and its extremely innacurate in a lot of systems, especially those with ASUS motherboards (a quick google search of people with similar issues turns up most have ASUS boards) If all your core temps are fine, I wouldnt worry about it, and in all honesty i think that hwmonitor displays way to much information-ASUS default temp monitoring software or even something like coretemp should do you just fine. even if you stay with HWmonitor, I wouldnt concern myself to much with CPUTin, its most likely a misreading, as long as your core, system, and GPU temps are within safety limits, then your fine, hwmonitor most likely just isnt 100% compatible with ASUS motherboards, its been known to happen, and its not a bad thing with ASUS motherboards, different manufacturers set their sensors up different, not all temp sensors can read them properly.

Edited by the_patriot11, 04 July 2012 - 10:44 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Salv

Salv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

CPUtin as far as I understand it, is not the temperature your cores are at but the temperature the top of the CPU is running at, and its extremely innacurate in a lot of systems, especially those with ASUS motherboards (a quick google search of people with similar issues turns up most have ASUS boards) If all your core temps are fine, I wouldnt worry about it, and in all honesty i think that hwmonitor displays way to much information-ASUS default temp monitoring software or even something like coretemp should do you just fine. even if you stay with HWmonitor, I wouldnt concern myself to much with CPUTin, its most likely a misreading, as long as your core, system, and GPU temps are within safety limits, then your fine, hwmonitor most likely just isnt 100% compatible with ASUS motherboards, its been known to happen, and its not a bad thing with ASUS motherboards, different manufacturers set their sensors up different, not all temp sensors can read them properly.

Yeah, I think even a quick search makes it clear that CPUTIN is slightly off the mark for a number of people. Just felt the inclination to create a topic since my issue is a little different and there didn't appear to be anyone with a more similar experience compared to those with 128c readings and the like.

Thank you for the reassuring response anyway. I think I'll ditch HWMonitor and try out CoreTemp instead.

Edited by Salv, 04 July 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Not a problem, if your not sure on something theres never anything wrong with asking. :-)

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users