Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes at startup....Sometimes!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to diagnose an issue with a Lenovo B570 laptop running Win 7 home premium 64 bit. The machine will start fine one time, then freeze after the windows logo ("Please Wait") before choosing a user.

I have checked all of the drivers for updates. I ran "Start Up" repair and it found nothing wrong. I ran MBAM and ESET with nothing to report. I am frustrated and stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 illusionust

illusionust

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

I had that once....it was weird

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#4 zigzag3143

zigzag3143

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Could be a driver, system configuration, etc. Please upload your event viewer logs

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here, to skydrive or a file sharing service

#5 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the help. Here is the file. Attached File  Errors07042012.zip   405.33KB   1 downloads

Just an FYI, I have had 5 successful starts in a row.

UPDATE: 7/5 I actually had 13 starts in a row, without a hitch. Then, a frozen start. Restarted this AM and it booted without fail.

Edited by bomber1712, 05 July 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

I had that once....it was weird

And with that experience, do you have any suggestions to help the member? Or is this just a commentary on their situation?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

bomber, were there any Windows updates done? I've seen Please Wait sometimes after rebooting when that is required to finish installing the updates.

Sometimes it will be simply Please Wait. Other times it will say "configuring" or "installing" and include the percentage as it configures/installs.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 July 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#8 astrosiphic

astrosiphic

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Have you tried "Error checking"?

>Start
>Computer
>Right Click (C:)Drive
>Properties
>Tools
>Check Now
>Tick Automatically fix file system errors
>Start
>Schedule disk check
>Restart

#9 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. Windows is up to date. The machine was having so much trouble when it was brought to me, the owner had recently done a system restore.

I ran an error check on your suggestion. Not sure if it found anything, but I am on restart number 10 or 11 with no trouble.

@zigzag (or anyone else) - any luck with the event viewer log?

If no one has additional suggestions, I am probably going to return the computer to the owner and let them see if they have any additional trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users