Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ChatZum Search page when switching to a new tab

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 enrico68

enrico68

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Good morning folks, here is my problem: last night I downloaded Hamachi, which is a legitimate software that lets you create a VPN between multiple computers. After doing that I realized that instead of Firefox, my browser had changed into ChatZum Search. So, I went into Control Panel and got rid of the ChatZum toolbar, and changed my default homepage back to Mozilla Firefox. But a problem still remains: anytime I open up a new tab from Firefox, I get the new window with ChatZum, and to go back to Firefox I have to click on the home icon, upper right hand corner of the browser. I would like to get rid of the damn ChatZum page but I do not know how to proceed. So I came here, hoping that some good soul will help me out. My operating system is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. If you need more info from me, just ask, and I'll be more than willing to help you out in helping me out...Looking forward to a solution, thanks for your help, :wink:

Enrico

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hello,It appears this also may effect Facebook from what I read. Looks like it is an installed addon in Firefox.

Try disabling it there.

How to disable extensions and plugins

Keeping your third-party plugins up to date
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 enrico68

enrico68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi Boopme, tonight when I go home, I'll try your solutions out and see what happens, I'll keep you posted. Many thanks,

Enrico

#4 enrico68

enrico68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hi boopme,

the procedures you showed me did not show any extension or plugins related to ChatZum. So, here is what I did: I went into System Restore, and reverted my system back to a previous good configuration state, as of a few days ago. Well, it worked, the ChatZum thing is now gone. Maybe it was not the right thing to do, but I figured I had not installed any major program in the last few days so I guessed there were not that many changes that had affected my PC. Anyway, thanks for your insight, take care,

Enrico :thumbup2:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

You are probably OK.. You can look thru this (Section 4)and see if perhaps doing one of these Uninstalls finds anything.
ChatZum TOOLBAR END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 enrico68

enrico68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Dear boopme, I had already gone through the EULA a couple of days ago, before posting here...but the steps they show did not help a bit...anyway, again thank you for your support, regards,

Enrico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users